overclocking Asus A7N8X-X
Aug 14, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 32
i think the xp2400+ should be running at 2.0ghz standard. you can probably make it to 2.5ghz, the cpu is very capable. only sugesstion i could give is to upgrade heatsink/cooler, add alot of case fans, and buy 'heatspeader' for your rams.

if your bios setting let you change the ram timing, that could give speed boost too. i use 6-3-3-2.5 with my pc3200 corsair. but too much can lock up the system. its best to do trial testing. benchmark the system to a point, run 3dmark2001 or some games with heavy graphic, check the cpu temperature right after. if it lock up or gets too hot then lower the speed.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 32
when overclocking, overclock one thing at a time. overclocking your cpu and ram at the same time doesnt let you know which one is hitting the ceiling first. It took me about a full day of trial and error to get my limits on overclocking with cpu, ram, and video card. But hey, I enjoy it, so it wasn't time wasted.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 32
well, the good news is that i figured out how to adjust my fsb by 1mhz at a time. the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be helping. I set the multiplier to its lowest (6.5) and starting increasing the fsb by 5mhz. i can't get it about 143mhz without it locking up, no matter how much i increase the vcore. is there some other setting that i'm forgetting about?

Aug 14, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 32
When you say it's locking up, do you mean in Windows during normal usage, or that it simply won't even reach POST (the stage when it's detecting all the hardware components)?

The AXP-M 2400+ should be able to do 2.2GHz (200FSB x 11 Multiplier) easily. What kind of memory (not just speed, brand as well) are you running?

And finally, do a CMOS clear before trying anything new. Sometimes it causes strange problems...

~KS

Aug 14, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 32
when i set it at say 143 mhz x 6.5 it will get to the window where it is loading windows, then freeze. Usually i can hit the reset button on the case and it will reset and i can get back into BIOS. when i set it to 200 x 11 it just immediately locks up as soon as i exit BIOS. then i have to reset the cmos using the mobo jumper.

i'm using corisar memory... DDR400(PC3200),

Aug 14, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 32
Are you using one stick or two? perhaps you have a dud stick, which happens with every company. If you have two, try using one, and if it still happens, switch to the other. That way, you can atleast rule out the bad ram variable.

Aug 15, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #27 of 32
No

Make sure you download the uber bios

Aug 15, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 32
I havn't messed around with flashing the bios much since I originally set it up, but then I just got the newest version (1.004 I think). I would try the newest one that is out first, which is what I am going to do. Make sure you get the driver revision that matches what your board is (I do not remember if it is on the board somewhere or on the box).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.mcclay/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back