Overclocking a graphics card: how much is too much?
Dec 17, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme
you may want to up your agp or pci-e voltage because as long as you have good cooling it will prevent some artifacts

also go to amdforums.com they will be able to help a lot more than here

Bumping the AGP voltage will do nothing for stability of the card. In order to increase the voltage, (and thereby creating more heat, which needs to be dealt with accordingly) a hardware modification must be made. Its quite a simple procedure, but not for the faint of heart. It is simply two potentiometers soldered to the voltage regulators of the core voltage, and the memory voltage respectively.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert
With an ATI X800XT or X50XT, there's no problem overclocking them to Platinum Edition levels, since the PEs are just factory overclocked XTs anyway. As an owner of an X850XT, I've never had a problem.

BareFeats.com seems to be saying the same thing...that the X850 XT is essentially an overclocked X800 XT (I feel like a broken record quoting BareFeats, but they have been the only source I have found regarding overclocking the Mac edition of the X800 XT).

That, to me, indicates that I can overclock my X800 to X850 specs without being too worried about reliability or failure. That said, if someone knows something beyond what I do at this point about overclocking the X800 XT (which is very likely), I'd be happy to hear it.

~Jordan

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
BareFeats.com seems to be saying the same thing...that the X850 XT is essentially an overclocked X800 XT (I feel like a broken record quoting BareFeats, but they have been the only source I have found regarding overclocking the Mac edition of the X800 XT).

That, to me, indicates that I can overclock my X800 to X850 specs without being too worried about reliability or failure. That said, if someone knows something beyond what I do at this point about overclocking the X800 XT (which is very likely), I'd be happy to hear it.

~Jordan

If this is true, then there is probably a reason you have an X800, not an X850. Processors are usually batched, and when they get tested some perform great, and some do not. One processor my be able to clock in at a certain frequesncy at a given vore voltage, but another may need an extra bump of core voltage. What they do then, is essentailly underclock the "weaker" processor so that a gigher voltage does not need to be used.

That being said, it is quite possible that X850s are just better perfoming X800's and technically you would be able to run your card at that speed. However, there is always the possibility that your card cannot handle it (especially with the stock cooler) and you will have to back down the clocks.

I wouldn't worry about what the other sites say all that much, becuase they don't have your exact card in hand. Take the advice given, and keep slowly bumping your card, and see if you get errors. When you have gone too far, bring it back down.

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSolsticex
Here is my take on this:

1) Stay away from upping the voltage. More volts requires mods and you wont get much more from the increase in voltage unless you are useing water or extreme cooling.

Not entirely true. Yes you will get a much bigger benefit from alternative cooling solutions, but with good air cooling, a voltmod will help your overclock IMMENSELY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSolsticex
4) Dont overclock if you cant afford to lose the hardware. As many have suggested in this thread, you probably be better off keeping the card at stock if you cant really afford to lose it. I guess I am being hypocrytical though, since I run a highly O/Ced rig and I cant afford to lose a single part. I guess I like risks
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't state that enough. O/Cing is a gamble. Don't bet what you can't afford to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back