Overated and Underated
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

doomlordis

Banned
Let us know what earphone you think is the most overated and which is the most underated (and why if you want).

Overated = Shure SE530 (i think they are badly balanced + coloured)
Underated = Klipsch Custom 1 - (better than most i have tried at the same price imo)

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 12
People don't answer your question, and it has to be THEM... All of them. Thousands of members/posters. OK.

How about making your comments a little more intelligent / interesting to read? Then, people might be more inclined to engage with you.

What is so "badly balanced / colored" about the SE530's?

What makes the Custom 1's better.

Here's the problem I find with many posts on forums in general. People like to talk in terms of "better" and "worse" and "overrated" and "underrated".

Words that describe things in those terms are only going to guarantee one thing: That there will never be consensus. Opinions on headphones are very subjective. Even if someone's opinion is completely objective and they have no bias at all (rare indeed), who has the perspective of knowing so much about so many products that they are informed enough to make such sweeping generalities?

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People don't answer your question, and it has to be THEM... All of them. Thousands of members/posters. OK.

How about making your comments a little more intelligent / interesting to read? Then, people might be more inclined to engage with you.

What is so "badly balanced / colored" about the SE530's?

What makes the Custom 1's better.

Here's the problem I find with many posts on forums in general. People like to talk in terms of "better" and "worse" and "overrated" and "underrated".

Words that describe things in those terms are only going to guarantee one thing: That there will never be consensus. Opinions on headphones are very subjective. Even if someone's opinion is completely objective and they have no bias at all (rare indeed), who has the perspective of knowing so much about so many products that they are informed enough to make such sweeping generalities?

I was simply asking posters here is they had an opinion , i never said custom 1s are better than SE530s (they are not) i just said they were underated against similarly priced products that i have owned/tested.

The Se530s in my opinion are lacking in high frequency range and are laid back to the point of collapse, i also think there is a unatural emphasis to the mids.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 12
OP: Whoa! Another person with an opinion! Go figure!
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go away troll.....

Man, I see where you're coming from. Doomlord, we already have an over/under thread. Why start this new one? You expect people to talk, but you add very little of value to talk about. If you want to garner discussion, do some legwork and write a real review/bring some new pictures/make a fresh point. You're dredging the bottom asking people to rehash old comments about old headphones.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was simply asking posters here is they had an opinion , i never said custom 1s are better than SE530s (they are not) i just said they were underated against similarly priced products that i have owned/tested.

I didn't say you said the Custom 1's are better than the SE530's. If it appeared that way, perhaps I was unclear in my wording.

The Se530s in my opinion are lacking in high frequency range and are laid back to the point of collapse, i also think there is a unatural emphasis to the mids.

I'm not sure about the highs "collapsing", but I won't bother arguing.

Ok, so let's assume you are correct and there is an "unnatural" emphasis on t he mids. I don't know that I would call it "unnatural", but I do agree there is an emphasis on mids.

Here's the deal, all headphones, speakers, whatever, color sound to some degree, right? Who's to say what's right or wrong. This is where subjectivity comes in.

The way I see it is this: An artist puts out a CD and then tons of people listen to it on millions of different kinds of equipment (can be headphones, speakers, home audio, portable audio, car audio, PA system, you get my drift.)

There are thousands (if not millions) of artists and certainly millions of ways to listen to them.

In my mind, the only real way to KNOW is to ask each artist how their music sounds "best". Impossible.

I suppose you can scientifically look at at graphs ad conclude that a headphone with a completely flat response is the most "accurate" in some regard. BUt does that mean it sounds best.... No.

My point is that it is really hard to talk in terms of "better" and "worse".

You're entitled to your opinion in that regard, and I'm entitled to mine. I just don't know that there is any "truth" out there.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you would not be a member much longer if you post comments like the one above.

Easiest thing to do is to report offensive posts with the "!!" button in the bottom left. Otherwise, it's unreasonable to expect that a mod will see it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
family-orientated???

I thought this was a forum about giving head, my mistake.

Mods i will understand if i am banned, bad day sorry all.

i'm not used to such hostility on head-fi. That's part of the reason why I like it. Don't get me wrong, I love cursing and telling dirty jokes, but I like coming here for a very loving (generally) environment. You seem to be attacking people unjustly, not cool man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back