over the ear under 250usd
Jan 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Stanoo

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for my first better headphones. My limit is 250usd and i have very little experience with headphones. I will be using them for computer use, movies, games, youtube, mp3s etc (no ultrahigh quality sources). Currently I have just koss porta pro and I like their over-bassed sound, so I would prefer headphones slightly more on the bass side, which will go well with "subwoofer range" of movies and games.  (if it's possible to simulate a good hometheater setup on ears:p) I don't care about portability, but they should be comfortable for prolonged use. preferably open

Thank you for advices:)

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 14
one other thing, I don't want to buy amp/dac so i will be running it from around 80usd range pc soundcard and won't be listening to flacs and stuff. Aren't 300 usd headphones overkill for that ?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 14
  one other thing, I don't want to buy amp/dac so i will be running it from around 80usd range pc soundcard and won't be listening to flacs and stuff. Aren't 300 usd headphones overkill for that ?

External DAC and headphone amp combos don't have to be expensive. I use the very affordable Asus U7 and it works really well. Your sound card could have a perfectly adequate DAC (possibly the same as what's in the U7), but the volume levels might be painful to deal with without an amp.

As for your headphones, if you want hectic bass go with Sony. My previous headphones were the XB500 (XB = Xtra Bass) and they were epic. Huge ultra comfy earpads and hilariously powerful bass without sacrificing much in general sound quality. Nirvana for a bass head. I'm not sure what's going on with Sony these days, but definitely investigate your options with them.

For a more safe bet, you could buy the same headphones I'm using atm. Audio-Technica M50X. Bass isn't bad, and can be exceptional with the right EQ. Their overall quality is amazing though, and their legendary reputation speaks for itself.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Philips Fidelio X2. Very good bass for an open headphone, easy to drive, comfortable

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks all for advices, I am really inclined for fidelio x2, unfortunately it's quite hard to get those where i live (have to order them from abroad, which brings problems with possible warranty). Could someone recommend pc soundcard, amp, dac, headphones combo under 300eur?(maybe slightly more if there is a well recommended "golden solution") (if the headphones will be ok without dac and amp, even better, cause i want to connect them directly to mobile phone or mp3 player from time to time).

Headphones should be open and more bass oriented, without sacrificing other attributes very much, preferably one of these: http://sluchadla.heureka.sk/f:p:100-250/ I can buy those easily. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 14
  If you are looking for open with bass and in your price range, I would look at the Fidelio X2.

Philips Fidelio X2. Very good bass for an open headphone, easy to drive, comfortable

I will be the third person to recommend these to you....You can probably find a pair in the used section for under 200.00 usd

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Went on that website and found they they have the Meze 99 Classics, but they are slightly over €300 (by €10). They don't have extremely overpowered basshead type bass, but what they do have is very good bass that isn't over exaggerated and is very fun. The soundstage is also good for a closed back set of headphones.
Oh and they don't need an amp at all. They are easier to drive than most IEMs.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for advices. Used fidelios here on forums are from usa, I live in eu so that negates the lower price of used if anyone would be willing to ship to eu. As to meze, they are closed, I need open ones. I also read about some problems with fidelio x2 from certain manufacturer (which i think was switched in some point) How do I know if the offer is from the problematic manufacturer or no? Any other advices? How are beyerdynamics dt770 880 990 and fidelio x2 compared to each other? Bass wise, general sound wise and amp/dac need ? thx

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Fidelio X1. 

I have owned this for several years and made direct comparison with HD 650, DT 770, DT 990. Still likes X1 the best. 
I use Audinst HUD-MX1 and MX2 as DAC/AMP. 

+1.

I bought a pair of X2's to upgrade but I returned them. I guess the sound signature of the X1 suits me perfectly.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks all for advice. I've ordered used/repackaged x2 from amazon. Will a better pc soundcard (as they have headphone amps and surround mods all in one package and i prefer cheaper solution for the moment) be enought to get a good things out of them, or it's a total waste for these headphones and I would be stupid to listen to them (gaming, movies, mp3, youtube) through pc soundcard? I am no audiophile and as mentioned I won't be listening to flac's and stuff. If yes, which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back