Over-the-ear headphones which keep ears cool
Feb 23, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 24
Dt770 don't get hot even though they are closed back

That maybe be true for you but not always for others. The temperature of your surroundings play a big part in it to. I live in a country where the weather is very warm so closed backed headphone will be much hotter than a open backed one. It also depends on how much the person sweats and some people will sweat more than others.

To the OP, if you are prone to sweating and live in a relatively warm area don't get DT770. They use velour pads which soak up sweat so not exactly a good idea unless you plan to use an aircon. I'd much rather have a hotter leather earpad than a soaking wet velour one but that may just be me. I'd say open backed are your best bet. LCD 2 is good if you can deal with the weight but other than that I'd say X2 is probably your only other choice. @ProtegeManiac makes a very good point though, you should just get an aircon unit that isn't too loud. In the end, no matter open backed or closed, if you are prone to sweating and live in a warm place, you will end up sweating anyways. Only solution to that is to cool the environment around you.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 24
Practically nothing under $600 has a lot of bass and can keep your ears cool.
Lmao what... Less than 10 years ago this was near a top-of-the-line price, of course you can find a headphone that isn't sweaty for under 600 bucks. People here sometimes forget how much 600 is, honestly.

I'm guessing that open-back headphones might let more air in, helping with heat and sweat.

Have you tried big Beyerdynamics with breathable velour earpads? DT880, DT1990, T1. They have very big openings and a lot of airflow.

Shure SRH1840 is another very good option, amazing sound, good quality and quantity of bass, earpads are very good too.

Audio-Technica AIR series (and R70x I assume, although haven't tried that one) are very light and breathable, plus their headband has almost no contact area with the head, so more venilation. Although I think the earpads are not velour.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 24
Lmao what... Less than 10 years ago this was near a top-of-the-line price, of course you can find a headphone that isn't sweaty for under 600 bucks. People here sometimes forget how much 600 is, honestly.

HF_05.jpg

1. But is it "bassy."

2. HD650 for me is "enough."Chances are if someone says they need something "bassy" they mean "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH Up in the club with my homies, trying to get a lil' V-I / Keep it down on the low key" level of "bassy." Meaning in car terms, they're not looking for a DLS system with one good 12in sub, they want one with a 12in MTX subwoofer in a transmission line enclosure getting 1000watts.

3. Even "cool" and "not sweaty" isn't that clear. My ears will sweat in my HD600 unless it's winter, it's just a matter of it taking 15mins in a summer afternoon vs 60mins in spring if I don't have the A/C running.

People here forget to read everything, even just in the one post they're replying to, honestly.

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 24

1. But is it "bassy."

2. HD650 for me is "enough."Chances are if someone says they need something "bassy" they mean "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH Up in the club with my homies, trying to get a lil' V-I / Keep it down on the low key" level of "bassy." Meaning in car terms, they're not looking for a DLS system with one good 12in sub, they want one with a 12in MTX subwoofer in a transmission line enclosure getting 1000watts.

3. Even "cool" and "not sweaty" isn't that clear. My ears will sweat in my HD600 unless it's winter, it's just a matter of it taking 15mins in a summer afternoon vs 60mins in spring if I don't have the A/C running.

People here forget to read everything, even just in the one post they're replying to, honestly.

I think I read everything correctly, you're saying OP can't find what they're looking for, I'm saying they most certainly can (no pun intended).

Although I agree different people sweat differently, and climate influences that even more, you can still compare headphones on how likely they're going to help/worsen the situation.

I don't and never will own a car for climate reasons, so can't understand what you meant there unfortunately, and I'm not sure Usher is the best way to describe bass (although good job with lyrics haha, it really started playing in my head as I read).

All I'm trying to say is there's definitely a lot of bass in almost every headphone I listed. There's frequency response graphs available to see that it's the case, be it here, or in Sonarworks/TB Morphit/Whatever Waves plugin had HP correction. Some of them I've tried personally, and they can def satisfy even the hungriest basshead IMO.

No need to get upset, I'm simply trying to help with the advice the OP is asking for, wasn't so interested in getting into an argument about my wording or your wording, how about we stop talking about it further. Let's be friends :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 24
I don't and never will own a car for climate reasons, so can't understand what you meant there unfortunately, and I'm not sure Usher is the best way to describe bass (although good job with lyrics haha, it really started playing in my head as I read).

Er...that song has really strong bass. And people specifically asking for strong bass (and not, "as long as I can hear bass") typically mean "something like this* but a headphone..."

I think I read everything correctly, you're saying OP can't find what they're looking for, I'm saying they most certainly can (no pun intended).

...which is mostly impossible because physics, and so their expectations need to be tempered in many ways.

And...ya know...since you mentioned something along the lines of "almost a decade," well in my decade here lots of people come back complaining the headphone they were told was "bass-y" sounded like tin cans (to them).

Not everyone can afford to live within walking distance of their jobs though, problem is everyone just assumes everyone is just lazy or thinks they want a car for status and hence never address the actual problem by adding more trains in places that need them. Hell, Tokyo making cars expensive didn't help the daily sardine rush.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 24
It's awesome to see this thread going for a few years! Thanks for the recommendations!

I think I should also consider headphones that are both open front and back to get the most ventilation, such as HD 800, as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6sqrys/what_exactly_are_semiopen_headphones/

Looks like with EQ it produces as much bass and with better quality than LCD-2: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._people_say_the_hd800_has_poor_bass_response/

Phillips Fidelio X3 might also have open front and back.

I am OK with compromising either bass or openness, I am just looking to find a sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back