Over the ear headphones for running
Apr 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
There is a good thread about headphones, iems, and earbuds for the gym.

But if you are a runner, you know that what works in the gym does not work outdoors on the trail. IEM's (and earbuds) block out road noise, and often fall out on the road even though they stay on in the gym.

So...this thread is dedicated to discussing good headphones for running. I very much want to discourage discussion of IEMs and earbuds...first because they are already discussed in the gym thread, and because we don't really discuss over the ear headphones much. Even if you they stay in for you when you run...lets talk about over the ear headphones.

Right now I alternate between Sennheiser PX-100s and some old Sony behind the ear headphones. The Sennheiser units, in my opinion, sound a bit better, but can get kind of sweaty on long runs because they actually touch the top of your head.

What's your poison?

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 10
In my opinion, earbuds are safe enough to use as long as you don't crank them up too high. For me, they block about as much sound as the open on-ears like the PX100 (I haven't heard that particular model though). I prefer the earbuds to headband models when exercising.

If you can go with earbuds, there are always the type that have the ears loops to keep them on. Also, Sennheiser made/makes a great earbud that has a little extension at the top, which fits snugly in the top part of the ear. It's hard to describe, but here's a picture:

SENNMX75_000.JPG

Both of those earbud types stay in well.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 10
I'll keep this brief because its a) gone 2:30am, and b) I am picking up a Shuffle 2nd gen..., in the daytime, to complete the experiment and will do a small writeup when I find a spare 5...

But running over Sat + Sun just gone (I run only an average time of 54min for 10km atm, but I carry on to 11km for the near-hour run then a warm-down)...

1x Hilly running armband
1x Clip
1x 4G Nano

+

1x headphone that stays on, will not break down because of sweat, will isolate but not all the way because I would like to hear traffic noise...

I think the Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II is a winner

P.S. I own the PX100 and no way are they for running

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 10
I used to own a a pair of OMX 70, you can do a headstand and they still wont fall off

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I prefer the lightest possible phones when doing (any) sports, I like something like the Senny CX300 with cables looped over the ear...they stay in and are not too isolating. I also find that the fit is even more secure/less microphonics if I tie together the 2 cables under my chin so the cabling is very form fitting around the face/neck. I usually run the cable under my shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back