Over-the-ear headphones Christmas gift CAD200-300
Nov 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FriendlyFire

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a gift for my dad to replace his aging HD414. He has not tried any headphones since he bought these decades ago and has no other reference point aside from his speakers (Focal Chorus 700). He's got a bit of a bass preference, so perhaps something a bit warmer would be good, but the priority is being easy to listen to for hours on end. These headphones would be connected directly to a Rega Brio-R amplifier. He does not care one bit for portability, as these will be purely for home listening. He's expressed a preference for open-back headphones, but that's largely because he's concerned about heat, so closed-back headphones that have good ventilation would be fine too. My budget for this would be around 200-300CAD, but I could stretch that a bit for a hypothetical miraculous set. Hassle-free buying options in Canada are a big big plus.

My current selection from looking at this site's excellent buying guide would be the NAD VISO HP50, Sennheiser HD 598, or potentially the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro if I can find it at its correct price online. I'm open to other suggestions of course!

Thanks everyone!

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 3
You may also want to consider the Massdrop HD-6xx, based on the Sennheiser HD-650. It's going to be selling @ $199.99 USD. That price is crazy good for an HD-650, and might be the perfect headphone for his preferences. Here is a link to check it out.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 3
That looks like a really good deal, but I'd be concerned that shipping to Canada would get expensive with duties, and that it'd get delayed beyond Dec 24.

EDIT: Well **** it, I got in. The offer's too good to pass up, and $15 shipping actually is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back