Over the ear ety ER-6i??
Mar 22, 2005 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

monsieurguzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i'm about to buy myself a pair of Ety Er-6i's which i found for a great deal. Anyways, my question is wheather you can wear them over the ears or not....like the shure e3c. That would be great coz the cable sound would be greatly reduced while walking.

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel
Hi all, i'm about to buy myself a pair of Ety Er-6i's which i found for a great deal. Anyways, my question is wheather you can wear them over the ears or not....like the shure e3c. That would be great coz the cable sound would be greatly reduced while walking.

There isn't a whole lot of microphonics to begin with, but yes, you can wear them over the ears.

Mar 22, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 4
I wear mine over my ears and feel it makes a noticable difference. They are not specifically designed for it like Shures are so I sometimes have to readjust the cords but I still would not wear them any other way.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 4
I wear them over the ear all the time, and it REALLY cuts out the microphonics.

When I first got the er-6i I noticed the microphonics mostly from wind hitting the wire, and from the wire rubbing on my clothing. It was really bad as it got colder and I had to wear a heavier coat.

Anyway, I started experimenting, ans started putting the wire behind my head. This wasn't bad, but still had enough noise to be a problem. Then I tried going over the ear. This pretty much eliminated the noise, but introduced yet anothe problem. With the wires going over the ear, there really wasn't a good way to keep them there. Consequently, I'd be walking down the street, and a loop of wire would loosen and go flopping off into the breeze annoying me even more.

Then I figured out a solution.

I made a little wirekeeper for when I wear them like that. I removed the shirt cilp, and pulled an old (but clean) eartip over the cord. Stretching it over the plug wasn't easy, but with a little time and patience, it made it over. Then I slid it up past the part where the wires join, so it's on the seperated wires. After that, I carefully cut the flanges off and shortened the piece that's left on there. So now when I put the wires over my ears, I just slide this piece up and the wires become more taught and stay in place. It's not an overly tight fit, but it stays in place great. No there are NO microphonics to deal with. Major improvement.

If anyones interested, I'll post pictures.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back