Over the ear closed headphones for portable use
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

audioteapot

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I decided to mostly switch to portable audio devices. Currently I have a DX50 (planned for upgrade in foreseeable future), but I decided to start with headphones.

I have GMP-400 (which I most likely won't use for awhile till my life will be more stable) and AKG k242HD, which are good, but don't fit some of my requirements: I want a closed ones (public transport, etc); and they are not playing that great on some of my genres (e.g. with heavily distorted guitar -- it sounds right, but not entertaining).

So, what are good suggestions for sub $250 (I do consider buying them used).

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 7
If you can stretch just a bit you can get into a Meze 99 Classics, which could potentially work for you. If you want to spend a bit less, check out the Neo, which is also a nice portable option. Maybe read about these and see what you think. One of them could work for you.

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I've been seeing the meze 99 come up quite a bit. Have you heard them? My taste are alternative and Rock. How is the bass on them? I have a couple very good sounding headphones the LCD2C and the HKT5P, but both seem too light for me bass wise.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 7
The 99C is really a 'fun' sound signature with solid bass. I really like it a lot. It is also quite beautiful--not sure if that matters, but it is maybe worth noting for a portable can, since it will be visible to others.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Sweet I'll have to look and purchase a set of these. Thanks for your help.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi audioteapot,

Meze 99 Classics can't go wrong as I own one though I will suggest getting thicker pads as the fit isn't comfortable for some, eg, wear glasses, large &/or odd shaped ears, etc, ZMF cowhide pads helps.

For more low key appearance, ATH MSR7 or SRH 940 are good though may or may not stretch your budget as I'm outside Europe & the US so I don't know the current price, I suggest going to a pro audio store for good deals as these are under pro brands.

Always demo with quality sources.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back