Over the ear Bass headphones (under 150-200$)
Mar 31, 2014 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

b02mne

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I'm glad to join this forum as i have been reading it a lot. 

I got to the point that i want headphones, under 150-200$ (i am a student, end even that is kinda out of my budget) but i really want decent ones. One thing i know is that i love BASS, but i also love clean sound (non metal sound - as i refer to high treble). Speaking of my previous headphones i had cheap versions of gaming headsets and so on(had ones that i liked but died too soon, i knew there was something with ~60$ price xD). I have also used Bose Quiet Comfort 3 - they were really good, but i listened to guitar on them, and i usually listen to techno/pop/lounge music etc. primarily techno. [edit]: forgot to add that i use Creative ep-630 atm. And Beats Solo HD which i gifted to my sister as im highly disappointed in those (not to offend anyone).

Currently i have home theater that i also use for music which consists of Yamaha RX-V461, a Yamaha dvd(which is piece of junk btw), Mission mv-8 on front and m31i on mission floorstand, and Yamaha Subwoofer. It is decent system when playing music, and pretty ******* loud for not that big apartment.

p.s. i am not an audiophile by any means, from what i have read here. Have in mind when writing that i probably won't notice miniature  differences in some headphones. 

Well what i was looking into is as i said a decent pair of headphones. I was looking into V-Moda Crossfade LP's (what is the difference with LP2 anyway), Sennheiser HD 518, Sennheiser HD598(oh my god they look good, but heard that they aint that bassy and are pretty expensive), Sony MDR-X10/XB920 (I like those for looks, and what i have read from reviews about bass, though i don't like them scratching so easy), and some more like SHURE SRH750DJ and Audio Technica ATH M50x. Detachable cord and carrying pouch is a plus.

I will be listening to music (obviously), probably watching movies, and gaming on those. I will be using them inside and outside, well or you could suggest me some in ear buds that i can buy along with these so i dont have to take them outside always, as i put in ear buds wherever i walk (and i walk a lot). So i will be using them with phone and prolly laptop. (i might also get a Fiio e11 but thats just a maybe). But i wanted those over the ear to be all rounder, hope its possible. You guys suggest.

I wrote a huge article and i really hope someone will read and reply. If there is something that i haven't wrote, you ask :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 12
- V-Moda Crossfade LP
- Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm (you need an amplifier for this, it is have on bass and treble and is open so it has a more open sound stage.)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 32 ohm
- Higher end Sony XB headpones (I have the XB400s which are lower end and they sound pretty good for being $25 on eBay.)
- Audio Technica M50 (not bass crazy, but great sounding apparently)
- Ultrasone HFI 580
- Audio Technica pro700MK2 (not too sure about this one, but there is a review saying it has a lot of bass)

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 12
  Thanks for the fast reply(lightning fast :D), but what would you pick ? :) 

p.s. whats up with 990 pro 250ohm being almost twice cheaper than other 990 models ?

The DT990 pros are open so the soundstage is bigger which means it will sound better. It is a bright sounding headphone, but it is said to have a lot of bass...and it's pretty cheap too. I would recommend that, personally I am either going for that or HiFiman He-400s (which are $300) so this may be a good choice for you. The reason why they're cheaper is because lower impedance is harder to achieve, the lower the impedance the lower the ohm rating.   

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 12
HFI-580s have great bass impact. Closed headphones, but they use Ultrasone's S-Logic technology to provide an expanded soundstage surround experience. See this discussion thread to learn more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

They can also be used with portable devices, but will benefit from having a headphone amp with more power (or your receiver) for giving more impactful bass.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 12
  You want Bass ? Earth-Quake generator ? get the M-Audio Q40 , it will destroy your eardrum!!!!!

Is this really like that, i have never heard of M-Audio. You would suggest it over the sony and v-moda then ?

HFI-580s have great bass impact. Closed headphones, but they use Ultrasone's S-Logic technology to provide an expanded soundstage surround experience. See this discussion thread to learn more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

They can also be used with portable devices, but will benefit from having a headphone amp with more power (or your receiver) for giving more impactful bass.

They are kinda my upper limit, and by the looks they are ugliest of those up there, do you think its sound is that good to forget the looks and price ? :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 12
They sound fantastic, and they are also built very well (very hardy design). I would imagine that the looks would grow on you, too. After all, can't see 'em when they are on your head. :)

Besides, isn't it nice not to look like everyone else wearing Beats? LOL

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 12
check this review out: he compares the Q40 to pretty much all the bass worthy headphones out there

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 12
They sound fantastic, and they are also built very well (very hardy design). I would imagine that the looks would grow on you, too. After all, can't see 'em when they are on your head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides, isn't it nice not to look like everyone else wearing Beats? LOL

Me no like beats 
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

check this review out: he compares the Q40 to pretty much all the bass worthy headphones out there

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Thanks a lot for that review, that is really good one, took me a while to read it.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks everybody for replies, i will probably wait a bit more, but i think the choice will be q40 + fiio e11 :) after reading all the comments they just seem most interesting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back