Over/On ear Gym Headphones?
Apr 3, 2012 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

EboniLM

New Head-Fier

Looking for portable, on (or over) ear headphones for walking around campus and working out at the gym. i currently have the Klipsch s4s, and while amazing, with INCREDIBLE thumping bass...they do fall out at even the slightest yank or pull on the cord. i'm constantly adjusting them during my workouts, which are quite rigorous. this is why i;m looking for something with a headband, to prevent this. 

size wise, nothing huge or bulky. key word portable. i'd take my sony xb500s, but they stick out quite a bit and may get in the way during weightlifting. something more along the size of the Solos or Mixrs and inconspicous. 

i don't care about highs or mids, as long as the sounds clear (not tinny) and i need thumping bass. my price range is 50-maybe a little over a hundred dollars. i've thought about getting some refurbed beats solos or mixrs (collective groan, i know i know) but for what I DESIRE the bass is definitely there. though, i'm open to some suggestions from you guys. 

any suggestions?

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 32
Perfect gym buds would be Meleec M6, or Meelec RX11. Consider the new Meelectronics S6 too, they were made for the gym. They are Coming out this month. If you preorder you get $5 Off. Sorry if i sound like a Salesman for Mee haha.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 32
Try the Sennheiser 680's.

FWIW, sweat rots out the pads of on-the-ear (and over the ear) headphones.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 32
Just something you haven't possibly considered: over the ear headphones will get VERY sweaty if your workouts are even moderate intensity. That's why I work out with IEMs just because after they're inserted, they seem to be inserted sort of past the skin that sweats so they stay dry, even if the outside/face is wet. The only issues in terms of bulkiness would be shoulder presses, and maybe skullcrushers (imo).

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 32
Keep using your S4. Don't yank on the cord. Avoid yanking on the cord by attaching the player to your waistband, then running the earphone cord under your shirt.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 32
I already do that. I have an ipod arm band, and i wrap the cord around the band a few times and then pull the rest of it underneath my shirt. I'm still constantly adjusting them because they loosen and fall out. This is why i need something with a headband or with VERY good clips. those koss phones don't look as if they have noise canceling/isolating and look as if they may bleed.

i'll read the reviews on it though.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 32
The S4 rugged is actually supposed to be durable. Don't know about the original S4. I had one and it's still alive after 3 years.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 32
I used a similar setup to yours with my image S4's at the gym and while it may not be a desirable solution cost wise I found that using foam tips eliminated all adjustment issues.  If you insert them well enough into your ear canal than sweat will not be a big problem and they wont become icky at an excellerated rate.  I used orange Shure foams as I had extras with my E3c's and although a tight nozzle fit they worked out very well and didn't become sweat soaked.  The foam will hold the S4's in your ears for you as you move around and so long as you don't wank on the cord you wont have to adjust them as you move around the weight / cardio stations.  The stock silicone tips are hardend and smoothed surface so the slightest amount of sweat will cause them to become slippery in the canal and make them prone to seal loss and such.  If you havn't tried foams on your S4's yet than you will also be in for a treat sonic wise, they will give you a little more thump on the lower end and isolate better to give the bass an even better impact edge.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 32
^^ i'll look up Shure foams, but the main problem is that the media controls weigh down on the ear buds, pulling them down. this coupled with constant movement equals a LOT of aggravation.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 32
The $8 JVC Riptidz sounds great for the price. It is listed as being sweat resistant and water resistant. For even more bass slam, consider the Panasonic RP-HJE450.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 32
Ahh, I see, you have the S4i's with the inline controls which is adding pull.  do you wear your S4i's cable down or over-the-ear?  Wearing them over-the-ear vs. cable down will help alot with pull and microphoncis espically from the inline control / mic.  This will put the pulling torque / vibration on your ear lobes and not jargon the seal in your ears so the lobes will absorb the shock.  The S4's wear and fit well over-the-ear style. 

EDIT
Additional Note on Foams:  The Shure foams are really a tight fit as the nozzle size on the S4's are a bit larger so I had to work them on and I only went with them because I had them on-hand to try.  Comply foams would work out much better as they are made to fit your nozzle size.  You would want the T-100's for your S4's. (T-100 / Ts-100 / Tx-100)

http://www.complyfoam.com/categories/Brand/Klipsch/Image-S4(i)/

Quote:
^^ i'll look up Shure foams, but the main problem is that the media controls weigh down on the ear buds, pulling them down. this coupled with constant movement equals a LOT of aggravation.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 32

Ah, yes perhaps I should have mentioned that sorry! For some reason I thought they were the same. But thank you for your help, and I've never considered wearing them with the cord over the ear. I'll try that and definitely check out those comply foams. Thanks for so much info!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk. Pardon errors.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
^^ i'll look up Shure foams

Shure foams are probably the best foams I've ever used with Universal IEMs. Such good isolation and comfort. Just so expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back