Over ears for drum and bass
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

j2b2

New Head-Fier
Hi ,

I'm looking for a pair of over ears around the £200 tag, I mainly listen to dnb (drum and bass the genre not drums and bass)

Background, I've had se215s in ears, I thought they were amazing best headphones I've had and imo one of the best sound signatures for dnb music.

I bought a pair of over ear momentums, I find the bass goes deep on well produced tracks but they are a bit flat when listening to a mix,
The fast drum kicks just don't have as much punch like my se215s had.

Also own a pair of pioneer hdj 500, they have nowhere near the clarity of the momentums, but the drum kicks really thump in when you expect them too.

Also must be closed cup for use in public and around the same size as
Momentums.

I've heard the v moda 100 are the next best bet, can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 15
Got them yesterday, great first impressions its exactly what I wasn't getting from the momentums. I think sound isolation is a slight issue which is a shame. They certainly are not worth near the RRP in terms of build quality, for the price I paid though they are great. Still tempted to try the V-Moda m100 though as a bit more sound isolation is missing.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 15
  Got them yesterday, great first impressions its exactly what I wasn't getting from the momentums. I think sound isolation is a slight issue which is a shame. They certainly are not worth near the RRP in terms of build quality, for the price I paid though they are great. Still tempted to try the V-Moda m100 though as a bit more sound isolation is missing.

If you got the Audio Technica's new try seeing if you can get a return on them! Let us know how it goes for you, trying an buying are the best ways to learn what YOU like in a headphone 

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 15
The M100 has better isolation, but it's not by much, and they're much more uncomfortable. The WS99 has vents on them that helps the bass but hurts the isolation.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 15
I can send them back if I wish - got them from amazon warehouse deals for £90 (open box return basically as new) , . Your right only way to try is to test myself, M100 would cost me £110 more so its a tough sell, and no retailers in the UK seem to stock them for testing so pretty sure I will just stick with the Ws99 for now. It's just tempting to want to know how they compare!

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 15
The Custom One Pro imo, like the DT770, wasn't very impressive.  The bass is overly boomy, they are way too big (do not use for portable use), and way too unbalanced.  The WS99 has a much more even response, and frankly much tighter bass.  The customizable pads and plates are cool though.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 15
The ws99 are not isolating well enough on the underground for me, although they sound great when in a not too noisy environment and you can crank them up. I think I'm gonna have to try the vmoda..or maybe I should go back to my iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back