Over ear vs. In ear. round 1, fight
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Infinitesimon

New Head-Fier
Soo... super hi fi noob here. Just wondering what the pros and cons are between in ear and over ear head phones I always thought in ear were inherently of lesser quality due to their size, but I'm finding out that there are high quality in ear headphones. The noise isolation of in ear is becoming appealing to me since I live near trains. I'm concerned about "artificial\digital" (not sure what to call it)noise cancellation would effect the sound quality.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 4
So in ear and over ear are barely comparable in terms of which is better quality, but they do have their own uses.

Over ear generally get you better sound for the price. The 300 dollar HD650 will probably sound much better than any 300 dollar iem you can find. This is because the smaller the headphone, the harder it is to get good sound out of such a small unit, and the higher the production cost is (probably due to R&D and the need for specialized gear to make such small units).

Over ear open backs are also likely to sound much more natural and spacious. If HiFi is the pursuit of the most natural and lifelike sound possible, than open back over ear headphones are most likely to offer that.

IEMs on the other hand tend to offer better isolation because they plug the ear canal. They are also much more portable and tend to be easier to drive from mobile devices. Depending on the type, they can also be much more comfortable due to reduced weight.

It completely depends on what the headphone is needed for.

Want big sound but need to block outside noise? Full size, over ear, closed back.

Want convenience and portability? IEM.

Want natural and spacious sound? Full size, over ear, open back.

Want big sound, but need to travel a bunch? Closed back, portable, over ear. (Perhaps something that folds)

If I had to pick a side and claim that one type is "better" then I'd say that over ear, open backs are the best by far. They tend to reproduce music in the most accurate and natural way

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 4
I would add that an excellent IEM can have outstanding sound quality if properly designed. Bass can be spectacular and imaging and soundstage, pretty darn impressive. I agree that the spaciousness and soundstage dimensions of a full-size, open-backed, over-ear will generally carry the day overall. There are some IEMs in the $1000-ish range that are truly special and are worth considering, if that is in the budget, however. The Campfire Andromeda is one of these. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back