Over-Ear vs In-Ear: In-ears have come a long way, but can they truly match the soundstage that over-ears offer?
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jacii

New Head-Fier
In my experience, over-ears typically provide a wider soundstage and better passive noise isolation, which is crucial for an immersive experience. However, I've been impressed with the advancements in IEMs, especially regarding their clarity and precision. I'm curious to hear others' preferences and why.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 5
The IEMs I've had that compete with soundstage of many headphones is the Seeaudio Yume II, and Final VR3000 which is made for VR headsets and great for gaming but less impressive for music. The Dunu S&S tips help widen it on most IEMs since they're a little longer but vocal mids lose a little presence.
The KZ PR1 was good for the price, the planar models with side vents like that are usually wide, just not the depth of the Yume II which has it all. It just needs a 3db 600hz boost to bring out the mids, but for gaming they're excellent out of the box.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Neither headphones nor IEMs have anything that can be accurately described as soundstage, they are both transducers placed very close to the ear. The question arises from the degree of proximity to the eardrum, which introduces challenges at the design phase because of how psychoacoustics and HRTF works.

The best way to listen to anything is through speakers. Audio engineers use speakers to mix on and speakers take your unique physiology into account the most, so when the speakers and room are tuned right, they'll sound perfect to many different people at once.

Headphones introduce the problem of skipping past much of your HRTF, so the engineers designing the headphone have to guess at a generic HRTF that may not match up to you. Over-ears still take your pinna and ear canal into account, so generally headphones narrow the market by a manageable margin. You may have to EQ a bit to account for your torso and skull's FR as well as use a crossfeeder to account for your specific time delay and phase shift, but it's generally not that bad.

IEMs skip just about everything physiological that makes sound unique to you. Engineers have to assume everything about your HRTF outside of most of your ear canal depending on how deep in the canal they seat, so the experience we get with IEMs is significantly varied. A couple of peaks and valleys in the pinna gain region can mean the difference between a perfect IEM for one person and an IEM that sounds okay but has wonky instrument placement and odd imaging for the next.

IMO, there are a couple of ways to go about getting a good IEM for you. You either buy and sell IEMs while watching reviews trying them all the while to get a good idea what your preferred FR is, then buy the best IEM you can find/want/afford/whatever, or you buy an IEM that is very technically capable and learn how to EQ using an audible spectrum diagram to figure out how to fix soundstaging errors and fix the FR up until you are happy with it. Until HRTF becomes easier to measure, this is where we are at in my estimation.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Most IEMs should have better passive isolation than most closed back headphones.

For me personally, “soundstage” in a headphone/IEM is one of the least important things. Clear/precise imaging is important, but how big the sound seems to be isn’t important to me. As long as things don’t sound “congested” I’m good in that department.

Lately I’ve been leaning towards preferring IEMs over full size. A big part for me is isolation though. It’s hardly ever quiet enough for me to enjoy an open back headphone. I do think overall for my preferences that I like my Aful Performer 8’s more than my 2 full size headphones.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Most IEMs should have better passive isolation than most closed back headphones.

For me personally, “soundstage” in a headphone/IEM is one of the least important things. Clear/precise imaging is important, but how big the sound seems to be isn’t important to me. As long as things don’t sound “congested” I’m good in that department.

Lately I’ve been leaning towards preferring IEMs over full size. A big part for me is isolation though. It’s hardly ever quiet enough for me to enjoy an open back headphone. I do think overall for my preferences that I like my Aful Performer 8’s more than my 2 full size headphones.
Yeah, chasing the absolute “size” of the stage is a lost cause. A $30 pair of desktop speakers can blow most of IEMs and headphones out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back