Over-Ear Upgrade? Side-grade? New Headphones.
Jan 10, 2015 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JDSuperhero

New Head-Fier
So I've had my V-Moda M80s for about two weeks now and I've definitely caught the audiophile bug. They sound great and they're super portable. However, now that I have a good pair of on-ear headphones, I'd kind of like to save up for a decent set of over-ears to use at home. My budget would be in the <$200 range. I could maybe stretch to $250 but it'd be really difficult on my student budget. I like the mids and bass my V-Modas, but I would mind more sparkly highs (that's not a necessity though) and I'd really like a better soundstage with more depth. I would need to stick with closed cans, tho, because I do have a room mate I need to share a closed space with.

EDIT: I listen to a wide variety of music, from videogame soundtracks to Infected Mushroom to Ani Difranco to Against Me!

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the vmoda xs which are similar to the 80s. I too like the vmoda. The mids and bass are good. It is an exciting sounding headphone. I also have a pair of nad viso hp50. They are around the ear and closed. To my ears: They have a better soundstage/depth then the vmodas. They are fairly well balanced and musical to me with a touch of warmth. They are not quite as exciting sounding as the vmodas but are very engaging with the wider soundstage. They cost around 250. They would be worth a lsten.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd say the NAD HP50 could be a good match for you. Still has the low end of a Vmoda but with more neutral and clearer highs. And over ear and very comfortable (though not the BEST looker) ...

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 7
i listen to ani difranco. i used shure 940 for that. it's perfect for ani difranco.
it's however the complete opposite of vmoda headphone. the bass is not that good. sub bass is there and accurate. but the mid-bass aren't elevated at all. the midrange is forward which makes anidifranco really good. and it has superb details.

it also has bad build quality. im selling mine btw on the FS thread... it cost like $300 retail i guess. i sell it for half of that... if you dont mind the build quality, read the reviews for it. it's a good headphone.

other than that, check out A900x or AKG k550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back