Over-Ear 'Portable' HPs with a Reasonable Budget
Mar 31, 2016 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TeskR

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a decent set of cans for semi-portable use, 20 min walk too and from work but most of the day sitting at a desk using them etc.
I am not super worried about bulkiness of the can, but they have to be closed back without too much leakage and preferably have detachable cables.
Also need to be able to be powered through my Schiit Fulla while at work and have 'acceptable' quality out of my phone for the walk to and from.

I currently use HE400i as my main can at home, with the occasional Alpha Dog usage. I am not overly locked into any sound signature, but I do know that I am not a big fan of overly bright headphones. These will be replacing a 7 year old pair of ATH-M50s I currently use.

My top end in price would be Beyer DT1770 PRO (this is probably too much for me currently, but I could maybe stretch)

Current cans being considered: DT1770, TH-X00 (probably too cumbersome), Soundmagic HP150, Oppo PM-3

Looking for any suggestions I could add to the list, cheers!

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 2
Add to the list for consideration:
Momentum M2 (bigger ear cups than original) has quite soft treble.

I've only heard the Oppo PM1, but from what I've read the PM2 and 3 are similar in most respects, and should sound quite gentle and warm.
BTW I loved the DT1770 - one of the best all-round sounding closed headphones I've ever heard. Treble is softer than the usual Beyer 'peakiness'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back