Over-ear or circumaural headphones (Budget 50€ to 140€)
Mar 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DarkStorm90

New Head-Fier
Hi, I would like to have suggestion for a new pair of headphones that have a good comfort for 1 or 2 hours, and possibly versatile for different kind of music and sometimes movies and gaming. Portability is a plus but non essential. I like warm sounding headphones, but with good mids, highs and soundstage, not too much analytical.
I've seen this 3 models under 100€:
Denon AH-D1100 (58€): probably they have the sound I want, but I'm afraid of the poor construction quality
Koss Pro DJ 100 (68€): here them are defined as "budget king", but I don't really like the spiral cable
Logitech UE6000 (97€): they're quite similar to fashion cans, but I don't mind that if the sound quality is really that good (I'm not interested in ANC)

Then I've seen the classic Sennheiser HD558/HD598(135€/160€), Beyer DT990(155€) and AKG K550 (140€). Among these, the cans I like the most are the AKG, but I'm afraid spending all these money on cans are not worth it, since I'm not an audiophile, I only like to listen good music with quality.

My sources are FiiO E17 (mainly) and/or Samsung Note 3 N9005 or Sandisk Clip zip in mobility. Please help me decide. Thank you.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Do you like the looks, or did you actually TRY them? Sorry, but it's not clear from your post whether you like them from looks or sound.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Personally I would consider all the more expensive headphones listed a significant step up from the cheaper bunch.
In terms of versatility and value for money, the AKG is one of the best, because it gives you a big natural sound in a closed-back package.
So isolation and comfort are also almost guaranteed, where the other headphones can only guarantee superior comfort.

In terms of sound quality, I would rate the HD598 on top though, but its a fully open design that lets all the sounds around you in. Also some have reported cracking headbands, so the design doesn't seem like it will stand the test of time. Sennheiser has been unfortunately plagued by bad plastic from it's suppliers for a while now, which is a shame because they're really great headphones.

The DT990 is built like an absolute tank and is in joint 1st place with HD598 for comfort, but I find it a little shallow in the bass (assuming you've listed the DT990 Pro according to the price).

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Personally I would consider all the more expensive headphones listed a significant step up from the cheaper bunch.
In terms of versatility and value for money, the AKG is one of the best, because it gives you a big natural sound in a closed-back package.
So isolation and comfort are also almost guaranteed, where the other headphones can only guarantee superior comfort.

In terms of sound quality, I would rate the HD598 on top though, but its a fully open design that lets all the sounds around you in. Also some have reported cracking headbands, so the design doesn't seem like it will stand the test of time. Sennheiser has been unfortunately plagued by bad plastic from it's suppliers for a while now, which is a shame because they're really great headphones.

The DT990 is built like an absolute tank and is in joint 1st place with HD598 for comfort, but I find it a little shallow in the bass (assuming you've listed the DT990 Pro according to the price).

Thanks for the reply. I'm deciding between the Denons, the UE6000 and the K550. The Denons really intrigue me cause I think I will like the bassy sound. The K550 on the other side is obviously a better headphone, but it's also 3x expensive and I'm afraid that can have too much analytical sound. UE6000 is just stuck in between, I like their portability but priced at 100€ they are perhaps a bit expensive for a discontinued product. If they were something like 60-70€ I had probably choose these. I will think about a little more.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, the Denons (for the price) have a decent enough sound with lots of bass, but you might need to pamper them - I've seen quite a few cases (online) of these breaking at the joints.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, the Denons (for the price) have a decent enough sound with lots of bass, but you might need to pamper them - I've seen quite a few cases (online) of these breaking at the joints.

I ended up buying both the Denons and the K551. I am satisfied with both, but as I thought the Denons' sound is the one I prefer. However they're adapt to different music genres so I'll probably keep both for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back