Over-Ear Inquiry
Oct 20, 2009 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yawny

Head-Fier
Hi, i've just recently got to looking for a decent pair of over-ears for home use. I have some SE530's that i got around christmas last year, but im looking for something more useful on my computer and at home, something that doesn't require me to reseal every time i take them off.

Im not looking to spend a ton of money, </= $150-200, but i want something with good sound quality that wont entirely break the bank. I'm pretty attentive to detail, as i i like it when my music sounds good, i like being able to hear every small detail, and my SE530's have done a pretty good job of this but i need something more versatile for in-home use.

I'm going to be using them for both music independently and for PC applications. I listen to a wide range of music, from rock to metal, to hip-hop, to classical, so they need to be fairly versatile. ALSO, as for use with my computer, i want them to offer good sound quality for a variety of applications, games, music, and also the fairly large amount of mixing and recording i do in my home studio, as that is one of the main reasons i want them.

I've been looking at some Grados (125, 225) and some Senns but the truth is that i haven't the first clue about over-ears. Any advice is good advice.

Thanks for any input,
Yawny

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I've heard the sound sig of the 530s compared to the HD650s... but those are definitely out of your budget (and need a decent amp). Grados will do you (go SR225 which has bowl pads), as long as you can stand the sound sig... some can't. I certainly can.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I was drooling a little over the 650's a day or so ago. I can dream though... i've never had much experience with other sounds as compared to the Shure signature, since no stores in my area, that i know of, carry higher end IEM's or over-ears that you can try out. I was leaning toward the 225's but i cant tell without using them i guess.

The lowest i can find the hd600's ( a step down/older model i'm guessing?) is around $260 which is just out of my range.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 5
I personally think the ATH-M50 might suit you. Strong mids, good detail, and obviously better bass. Another option if you like Shure is the SRH440, which you can find for about $100. Alot of people like the SRH840 too, but I've never heard them, and they will top out your budget. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back