Over ear headphones, use for public transport
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ArtMe

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

The last couple of days I've been looking into over ear headphones. The more I look, the more confused I get which ones to take.
I will mainly use them on public transport (bus, train, subway) to go to work. It takes me about an hour and a half to get there, so comfy ones would be nice.

I read a lot of good things about the grado SR60i and 80i, which I really liked. However, I'm afraid they are not suitable for public transport.
I also checked out reviews on the Audio Technica M50, some Shures, AKG, Beats, etc.

In the end, I really don't know what to take. I really want over ear headphones this time.
Budget would be around 100 $, would pay a bit more if it's worth it.
I don't like to buy too expensive ones, cause my headphones usually get broken after a year.
(I currently use AKG K328SBR Stereo In Ear, which surprisingly lasted for almost 2 years, they are now half broken and still use them whilst awaiting new ones)

Thanks for all the help and recommendations :wink:

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Phillips Citiscape Uptown is around your price range and pretty highly rated. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion.

After some more reading, I am more likely to go between either Audio Technica M50 or the AKG K550.
A bit more expensive, but maybe worth it.

Any ideas which would be better for my use, also considering it to be for iPod listening on the road?
I mainly listen to rock music, but also other genres like jazz - indie - psychedelic - ...

Thanks!

Cheers.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Both are both very very good for your genres of music, they don't compete against each other since they are in completely different price ranges. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 6
There's indeed 40 euro price difference between them on Amazon.
The M50s are at 128 euro, and the AKG K550 are about 167 euro. Is it worth the 40 euro more? Or are they overall equal in sound quality etc?

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd say yes, go for the 550s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back