Over ear headphones under $50- best SOUND
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dkdanny

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Just came to head-fi, so please excuse my noob mess.

I was looking at some over ear headphones under $50,although there are tons of posts, they are distributed among various criteria. We mine is most important to everybody out here: SOUND.

I just need SQ, No matter the comfort or style or sound leek.

Please advise among the following though more suggestions are more than welcome.

Koss Porta Pro
Audio Technica M30
Samson sr850 / superlux hd688b
Monoprice 8323
Superlux hd681
Koss DJ100

Conditions:
- Need to be driven by smart phones and normal stuff, No amp
- I listen to almost every genre of music, so they must be all rounders
- preferably sold and shipped by Amazon.com (not some retailer on Amazon - - retailers don't shop international)

Please help me out.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 15
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

JVC HA-S400 folding, on-ear, closed headphones.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't think you can go wrong with the Porta-pro. The sound is warm, perhaps a bit lacking in the highs, but this is something you may actually like. I think they're very comfortable. Very lightweight. Just look at how popular they are. There's a reason for that.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 15
I own a Noontec Zoro HD and like it. It has good bass extension and good mids. Tremble might not extend that far. The HD version have better bass and isolation than the regular non-HD version. The 4kHz dip in the measurement is also a lot smaller in the HD version. They have gotten a lot of good reviews and are compared favorably to the CAL, Skullcandy Aviators, other cans under $150.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 15
I am tied between Samson SR850 and PortaPro, has anybody tried them both??

Some people say it needs an AMP for sr850 to make an impact, otherwise it's a normal headphone. I'm confused because it has around 32ohm so theoretically it should be easy to drive.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Let's start rating them guys, let's make it easier to read for others also

Please rate on the below and give your valuable comments: OUT OF 10

BASS:
MIDS:
HIGHS:
ISOLATION:
SOUND STAGE:
OVERALL SQ:

All your comments are highly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 15
Let's start rating them guys, let's make it easier to read for others also

Please rate on the below and give your valuable comments: OUT OF 10

BASS:
MIDS:
HIGHS:
ISOLATION:
SOUND STAGE:
OVERALL SQ:

All your comments are highly appreciated.

Nope, it doesn't work like that. None of us have tried all the headphones, and so the headphones would not be rated by the same standard.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Lol this guy wants us to rate OUT OF 10 IN CAPS.

Haha no.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm still tied up between SR850 and PortaPro

I am tied between Samson SR850 and PortaPro, has anybody tried them both??

Some people say it needs an AMP for sr850 to make an impact, otherwise it's a normal headphone. I'm confused because it has around 32ohm so theoretically it should be easy to drive.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 15
JVC HA-M555X. 50$.
Bass:10 (I'd rate more if I could for bass. Absolutely ridiculous. Better than anything under 400$.)
Mids:6.5
Highs:7.5
Isolation:8.5 on low volume. 5 on medium. 1 on loud... And by loud, I mean LOUD. Hook an amp, and they make the HTC One speakers sound as quiet as ear buds. And THEY DONT DISTORT.
Sound Stage:9.25
Looks:7.5 because the flashy look isn't for everyone.
Build Quality:8.5 Based on a scale of dysfunctional 50 cent headphones to V-Moda. The material they are made of is slightly cheap feeling, but not so much as to make you question quality. They are very nicely built, and can stand a few drops, and have a thick rubber cord, and rubber deep bass port protectors with the XX logo on it.
Comfort:10 Very squishy foam headband, and nice fake leather earpads. I've worn them for 12 hours straight on a music marathon and experienced no discomfort. Doesn't touch any part of your ears.
Portability: 5.5 Quite large. 11oz.
Value:10 They would be the best for under 400$, but that title belongs to its big brother, the HA-MR77X. Only headphones that are possibly better than these. If you want to spend 50$ more, the Ha-MR77X's are made of high quality plastic and metal, look better, have 57mm drivers, same deep bass ports, better sounding treble, and more portable since they fold up. The HA-MR77X's are 100$. Well worth it. Best headphones for bass under 800$ out of Sony, vmoda, Bose, sennheiser, audio technicas, skull candies, beats, sol republics, denon and more. Get an amp with those, and two words: BASS CANNON. Score for M55X:8.75
Score for MR77X:10

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Stop wasting time with those two. They don't even compare.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 15
Oh sound quality for m55X:10
Sound for mr77X:10

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Better sounding in all aspects than vmoda crossfade m-100's. Louder too. Much louder. And without distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back