over-ear Headphones under $300 for a non-audiophile
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rainicorn

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
my pair of ultrasone DJ1's (same as the hifi 580's) has finally broken after many attempts to fix them. 
So that means I need new headphones! Although after looking around i haven't really being able to find anything that stands out for me.
Here are some of my requirements for the headphones if anyone would like to help out with some recommendations.
-The upper limit I can spend on them is $300
-They have to be closed back, but could be either over ear or maybe on ear with good isolation
-I am going to be travelling with these, so good noise isolation and portability are great bonuses
-They need to be relatively durable (my last pair broke because the internal cable connecting the drivers kept breaking, so some with detachable cords which go straight to both left and right is preferable)
-I don't want them to be too big, my old ultrasones were the max size i could tolerate, bigger than that and they just become a pain to carry around.
-Good design is preferable but not a deal breaker
-And finally sound!...
....Now i know the majority of people on this website definitely have a bias towards really balanced cans so just be aware i'm not the sort of person that listens to pink floyd in a dark quiet room appreciating the super balanced sound and soundstage (not meaning to offend anyone). I'm the person who listens to pretty much every genre from electronic to pop to minimal acoustic to rock....on a crowded train. but i can say i'm definitely a sucker for some overrepresented bass. Reviews of the ultrasones said they were basshead cans and i totally disagree, yes bass was there but it wasn't really something you noticed. I'm looking for a set of headphones that has some clear tight bass which puts the oomph into any electronic or rap i'm listening to, yet doesn't muddy out or overpower in any vocal/guitar dominated genres....if that is something which can actually exist?

So Head-Fi release your extensive knowledge onto me and enlighten me with your wisdom!

Ps. I know it's like the perfect first-born child around here but can you please not recommend the M50's? yeah they're good cans but again they're just too balanced for what i'm looking for.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Ultrasone PRO900? I've heard them described as "bass starship" and that seems accurate based on the time I spent with them. My PRO2900s (almost identical except they're open) seem pretty well put together, but I don't use them mobile. Come with a nice case and replacement parts too. :)

If not Ultrasone, Creative Aurvana Live maybe? Or Razer Kraken Forged Edition? Or Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9? All of those come to mind for bassy, closed, $300 or under, and so forth.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 8
  Hi all,
my pair of ultrasone DJ1's (same as the hifi 580's) has finally broken after many attempts to fix them. 
So that means I need new headphones! Although after looking around i haven't really being able to find anything that stands out for me.
Here are some of my requirements for the headphones if anyone would like to help out with some recommendations.
-They have to be closed back, but could be either over ear or maybe on ear with good isolation
-I am going to be travelling with these, so good noise isolation and portability are great bonuses
-They need to be relatively durable (my last pair broke because the internal cable connecting the drivers kept breaking, so some with detachable cords which go straight to both left and right is preferable)
-I don't want them to be too big, my old ultrasones were the max size i could tolerate, bigger than that and they just become a pain to carry around.
-And finally sound!...
....Now i know the majority of people on this website definitely have a bias towards really balanced cans so just be aware i'm not the sort of person that listens to pink floyd in a dark quiet room appreciating the super balanced sound and soundstage (not meaning to offend anyone). I'm the person who listens to pretty much every genre from electronic to pop to minimal acoustic to rock....on a crowded train. but i can say i'm definitely a sucker for some overrepresented bass. Reviews of the ultrasones said they were basshead cans and i totally disagree, yes bass was there but it wasn't really something you noticed. I'm looking for a set of headphones that has some clear tight bass which puts the oomph into any electronic or rap i'm listening to, yet doesn't muddy out or overpower in any vocal/guitar dominated genres....if that is something which can actually exist?

So Head-Fi release your extensive knowledge onto me and enlighten me with your wisdom!

Ps. I know it's like the perfect first-born child around here but can you please not recommend the M50's? yeah they're good cans but again they're just too balanced for what i'm looking for.

Momentum's and Sony's MDR-1A sound like good cans for you. The Momentum has better balance, while the MDR-1A's bass is more punchy. Both have removable cables (single-ended), but the Momentum has a better build (more metal used). The M2 version of the Momentum is $50 over budget, while the MDR-1A could be found for around $250 or less depending on luck.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 8
  Hi all,
-And finally sound!...

Just joined Head-fi and been doing a lot of browsing before jumping and asking for recommendations. 
But I just had to say, you have pretty much written almost exactly what I was working up to.........  in terms of your wants for a headphone and having a broad range of music genres to listen to, in less than "ideal" circumstances.

From other threads, it would seem that the VModa Crossfade M100 might be worth considering.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm hearing all the right suggestions here :wink:
Sony MDR-1A
Sennheiser Momentum over-ear 2 (on-ear I liked a lot less)
V-moda Crossfade M100

The marshall monitor might be good too, though I found their sound lagging behind the Sennheisers at least - I could not directly compare with the others.
Maybe the Beyerdynamic custom one pro would be good for you since you can tweak the bass response of these.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Yeah these have been some great suggestions!
I'm almost set on the V-moda M100s just waiting a little bit longer to see if I can find a pair to test in-store
The momentum 2 seemed good but a bit out of my prices range, and i checked out the sony MDR-1A but it was a bit flat/boring for my liking

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah these have been some great suggestions!
I'm almost set on the V-moda M100s just waiting a little bit longer to see if I can find a pair to test in-store
The momentum 2 seemed good but a bit out of my prices range, and i checked out the sony MDR-1A but it was a bit flat/boring for my liking

Try looking at a best buy magnolia if you have any in your area. They usually have the m100 out to listen to. Apple and the windows stores sometimes do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back