Over ear headphones plus DAC/AMP for under $300
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sillbeer

New Head-Fier
Greetings all. I travel a lot and want to upgrade my current UE Triplefi 10 earbuds. The sound is good but I want something with a little more long term comfort. I don't need Bluetooth or wireless capability. I am conscious of people around me so I think a closed back headphone would be best. Thoughts about that in an airport and on airplanes? I recently started looking at the HiFi Man HE-400i and the Beyerdynamic DT-880's. I know both are open back but they both have good reviews. They are both towards the top of my budget but I can stretch it a little. The 880's are offered in 35 and 250 ohms. Maybe I don't need a DAC/AMP setup with the lower ohm headphones. I've never used a DAC/AMP and I haven't had over ear headphones since I was a kid almost 25 years ago. Just looking for recommendations on either or. I listen to all kinds of stuff, Alternative, new and old rock, metal, jazz, and some classical. I've been eyeballing some Sennheiser models for the past couple years over the black Friday sales but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I don't want a set of headphones based on a name. I don't have the cash to buy the upper end stuff so I think it's a mute point.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 8
After a lot of hee-hawing around I purchased a pair of Audio Technica MSR7's which should be delivered this week. I will primarily be using my iPod Nano but am considering a dac/amp or possible a dap. I'm going to try them out with my iPod and see how they sound. My iPod is getting pretty old so that's the only reason I'm considering a dap. For a dac/amp combo I'm eye balling the Oppo HA-2SE.

I completely blew my budget but oh well.

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Msr7 was a good choice.. decent clean and in my opinion neutral sounding can with comfort. If you have an iphone you could get their headphone jack which has a surprisingly decent dac on it. Other options can be some of fiios products or even a dragonfly connected to your phone.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 8
I've been using the MSR7's for two days now and I'm really liking them, they're super comfortable. My iPod powers them but it's near max volume and my phone, Nexus 6P, will power them at about 3/4 volume and that is fine in my office. My wife couldn't detect any leakage while we were sitting at the table last night. I think instead of a amp I will look at a DAC that has a little more output. I'm considering a Fiio X5 and it has the following output numbers:

Output Power 1: >245 mW (32 ohms / THD+N <1%)
Output Power 2: >436 mW (16 ohms / THD+N <1%)
Output Power 3: >27 mW (300 ohms /THD+N <1%)

I'm a little familiar with ohms but what exactly am I looking at here?

For reference
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249200-REG/fiio_x5_ii_black_x5_2nd_gen_portable.html

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back