Over ear headphones just for movies.
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mikek1357

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I love movies, but since walls are thin I am bound to headphones most of the time.

I'm looking for a pair of good headphones to use when watching movies.

Been looking into some, like the Sennheiser rs165, sony DS6500 (yes discontinued) and maybe even, though very expensive the Sony HW-700DS, surround would be nice, but how the headphones sound and durability is more important to me.

Any advice or user experience with these or other headphones for movies is welcome.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 11
With wireless headphones, you are paying a good bit for the wireless technology. So for the money, there are definitely better wired headphones. I have a headphone cable that I hook to my AVR and run to my couch.

What is overall your budget?

What is your source device that the movies are playing on (make/model)?

Are you open to open headphones? They will have better soundstage for movies, but they will leak sound a little and let a bit of outside sound in. Someone in the next room shouldn't be able to hear them, though.

Are you a person that likes lots of extra bass? Do you want deep bass extension?

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Budget is 2 to 300dollars.

Either I'll hook it up to my tv's optical output or direct with my bluray player

Open ear headphones could be an option but I dons't wan too much sound leaking out.

I like bass in action movies, but it shouldn't overpower other audio in a movie.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 11
If you were to go with wired headphones, to hook up to your tv's optical, you would need some kind of dac/amp.

What make/model blu-ray player do you have? Most don't have headphone output, and these days, many don't even have analog output and would require a dac/amp.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 11
I was in your position a couple of years ago, before I moved in to my current house. Had a Sony BR player, and hooked it up to my Fiio E07K and E09K combo with DT990 pro; was quite an 'el cheapo' setup, but served me really well. 

The DT990 leaked quite a fair bit, but nothing that would travel across rooms

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I prefer speakers but recently I’ve been using headphones for my movies.

I like to use the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 for my movie watching if I’m using headphones. It has outstanding detail yet natural sounding.

For old movies with inferior sound quality I like to use the Sennheiser HD 650 since it kind of “thickens” the sound.

I like to use tube amps. I’ve been using a hybrid tube amp for my movies these days. But a good quality op amp solid state amp is great too.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 11
For movies you need bass
1-rs 170(headphone is tweaked for movies)
2-rs 185(sound quality is good on this one too is tweaked for movies )
3- rs 165 (don't know about this one but I have used 175 )

My personal opinion is that stay away from 175 and 165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back