Over ear Headphones for fathers day
Jun 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aljowen

New Head-Fier
Im looking for a set of headphones for my dad for fathers day.

My dad tends to enjoy listening to music with a drink and is by no means interested in audio quality at all. As long as it plays the same song he tells it to he is happy. Since its a fathers day gift the price range is under £60 ($100).

1. I know that he doesn't like bass very much, so a flat signature is probably more suitable for him. He listens to pretty much everything bar electronic music.
  2. I also think build quality should be of concern (possibly more than audio), hes not exactly going to throw them around but he was using his current set of on ear's without any cushions (literally bare plastic on his ear) until i made some crude foam covers since the originals broke. Material isn't an issue, plastic is just fine as long as it is sturdy and well put together.
  3. Since they will be plugged into realtek onboard audio on his PC and possibly his phone it would probably be best if they were 32ohm headphones so that they can be powered by anything at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 10
If you can stretch your budget a bit, he might like the A900x or AD900x (if he likes open). I thought they weren't too bad. They have nice AT mids, and a pretty full bass, with a smooth treble making it an easy listen! The ad900x will be airier with a far bigger soundstage and a more detailed treble but with less bass.

Or look into some Shure 440s or 840s if you can find them around your price. Mid centric cans but keep a pretty flat sig being a bit bright, making them nice for rock and such.

Or even the M-Audio Q40s. They can be had at $69 OBO for refurbished from m-audio, or $100 new! They have a lot of bass when needed but never gets in the way when listening to rock, indie, jazz, classical it's just a full, thick sound and won't have crazy bass unless the song calls for it, then with a fun, slightly rolled off treble and a forward warm midrange and it's just a nice overall listen that doesn't fatigue or get boring! Tell me If this helps and if not I can think of more options!

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 10
If you can stretch your budget a bit, he might like the A900x or AD900x (if he likes open). I thought they weren't too bad. They have nice AT mids, and a pretty full bass, with a smooth treble making it an easy listen! The ad900x will be airier with a far bigger soundstage and a more detailed treble but with less bass.

Or look into some Shure 440s or 840s if you can find them around your price. Mid centric cans but keep a pretty flat sig being a bit bright, making them nice for rock and such.

Or even the M-Audio Q40s. They can be had at $69 OBO for refurbished from m-audio, or $100 new! They have a lot of bass when needed but never gets in the way when listening to rock, indie, jazz, classical it's just a full, thick sound and won't have crazy bass unless the song calls for it, then with a fun, slightly rolled off treble and a forward warm midrange and it's just a nice overall listen that doesn't fatigue or get boring! Tell me If this helps and if not I can think of more options!

Well, the budget doesn't really stretch to being 500% bigger than it currently is so the audio technicas are out.
The Sure 440's are also 133% of the original budget which is too much for stretching.
The M-Audio headphones are pretty difficult to find in the UK and are over budget when looking at reputable websites.

But im all for more suggestions, provided they are a little cheaper :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Sorry! I didn't know you were in the U.K. I'm in the U.S. And you can pick up some A900xs for about $110! I'll give ya some better recommendations tonight!

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 10
While those suggestions are good and appreciated i doubt that i will be able to get them delivered in time because they would be delivered from abroad. It would also be nice for them to be produced by a brand with a useable warranty etc.

I have been looking around still. Came up with a couple of ideas:

Sennheiser HD 492 (£45/$75)
Yamaha HPH-200 (£70/$117 But this is really pushing the budget beyond where it should be)
AKG K514 MKii (£60/$100)

Any thoughts? Or anything around that area that will perform better, from a well regarded brand that should be easy to get hold of in the UK.
Thanks

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 10
  While those suggestions are good and appreciated i doubt that i will be able to get them delivered in time because they would be delivered from abroad. It would also be nice for them to be produced by a brand with a useable warranty etc.

I have been looking around still. Came up with a couple of ideas:

Sennheiser HD 492 (£45/$75)
Yamaha HPH-200 (£70/$117 But this is really pushing the budget beyond where it should be)
AKG K514 MKii (£60/$100)

Any thoughts? Or anything around that area that will perform better, from a well regarded brand that should be easy to get hold of in the UK.
Thanks

Take a look at the Richer Sounds website, that could have a few ideas.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Went for the ATH-M40X.

There were lot of positive reviews. Features such as the removable cable (with 2 cables in the box) were able to make the extra cost worth it since cables can often be the first thing to wear out. The more simple design was also appreciated because i doubt my dad would enjoy wearing bright green headphones with yellow LED strips (over exaggerating but you get the point ). The flat frequency response was also a key factor.
They were also available with next day delivery meaning they could be delivered in time.
If only they had been cheaper, but i guess i can live with that...

Thanks for all the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back