Over-ear headphones for electronic music - £150 budget
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rieku321

New Head-Fier
Budget
£150 happily, willing to go up to 200 if the difference will be significant (but this will bite into my wallet big time).

Source/Amp
Computer (ASRock Pro4 Motherboard); '7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps' are the audio specs listed on the website, but I doubt the information is anything significant. I will be buying a budget AMP in the future.

How the gear will be used
For home listening, prefer closed as I like bassy music but feel free to recommend open cans if I would benefit from the sound quality a lot.

Preferred tonal balance
I don't really know what to put here as I'm not too educated on the topic, I enjoy bass but I don't want it to overpower the other sounds (if that makes sense). Hopefully, the genre's I listen too will clear it up.

Preferred music genre(s)
I listen to mainly electronic music, especially from the 80s-90s, which should hopefully give you a feel of the sound I listen too. I listen to a lot of Eurobeat/Hi-NRG music, but will occasionally listen to classics from other genre's (Rock, Rap etc.). But my main focus is on that 'funky' feel that 90s electronic music has, I really really love Eurobeat so I'd like the headphones to cater to that genre the most (if I had to pick).

Past gear experience

I recently lost both my M50x and my iBasso IT01's, and that's pretty much all the gear experience I've had.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve?
I'd like the sound to be clearer and cleaner, where I can make out the different parts of the song (vocals, bass etc.).

Note: I don't have access to Massdrop (from the UK) so I can't get any of the headphones listed on there :frowning2:

Thank you for your help!

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion! I've had recommendations of the Fostex T50RP, Sony MDR1A, DT 990, DT 770 and AT MSR7. They are all at a similar price point, would you still recommend the Soundmagic's over the ones I've listed?

Thanks again!
From what you listed, I would try and talk you out of the DT770/DT990.
I have liked every Audio Technica headphone i have ever bought, so i'm guessing the MSR7 is nice.
I would guess the Sony MDR-A1 is good.
Well modified T50-RP's get a lot of positive feedback.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 7
I have only demo'd so DO NOT take my word for it, but If you can find some used or open box Sennheiser HD630VB, I think those might be a good fit, there have been some clearance sales of them recently around these prices (in US at least).

IIRC MSR7 should have extra clarity over M50x, but also be a little bit on the bass light side. (I am much more familiar with M70x, which supposedly is a little similar to MSR7- listened to a lot of mostly instrumental electronica (like Boiler Room sets) with M70x, but always with a massive bass boost EQ applied).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 7
You can order from massdrop in UK. I ordered the K7xx from massdrop and I didn't even need to pay import tax on that. Your mileage may vary.
I'd say electronic music sounds pretty damn good on most headphones. I would probably suggest planar magnetic ones as they usually have nicely textured bass, which tends to go well with electronic music. In my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back