Over-ear Headphones for EDM/House/Pop/Rock/Instrumental (OST) music that are <$150?
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Subrising

Head-Fier
Hey all! Here is the details of what I would like if anyone can help!

Budget - Around $150 AUD ($134 USD) + Postage if it's not ridiculous

Source - Computer (Asus Xonar DGX Sound Card) + Phone

Requirements for Isolation - Good isolation is preferred however not absolutely necessary.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized headphones

Preferred tonal balance - I do not think I am a full on basshead but I do love good bass immersion and punch. I also like vocal clarity on things like vocal trance and house music. I think I like a slight V-shape sound which is similar to my current ATH-ES7's.

Past headphones - I currently own a pair of ATH-ES7's and I love them. The only problem I have is that they hurt my ears after awhile and that the cable isn't long enough for me to in my computer setup (about half a metre short). I've also borrowed my friend's ATH-M50's for a few days and whilst I think they are good I'm not sure if they are worth the $140 AUD it costs for me here and if there is anything else better nowadays.

Preferred Music - House/Vocal Trance/Trance/EDM/Rock/Pop/Instrumentals (Soundtrack OSTs and things like Two Steps From Hell and Hans Zimmer) I also game quite often.

Location - Australia and in an area where I really cannot trial or demo any headphones other than Sennheisers which is frustrating as they are almost all overpriced here.

Any help would be fantastic as I would like to purchase them as soon as possible to get them in time for Christmas.

If anyone could guide me in a direction that could possibly help please don't be afraid to post as I welcome all opinions and information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 11
the dt770 is considered a basshead phone by many people, so take that into account. 

The m50's mids aren't that lacking. Yes it is recessed, but it's more like in the recessed side of neutral.

If you like your vocals and mids that much though, you should try grado headphones or the sennheiser hd598. (however, grado headphones and the hd598 are open headphones, so theyre not for portable use). 

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 11
  the dt770 is considered a basshead phone by many people, so take that into account. 

The m50's mids aren't that lacking. Yes it is recessed, but it's more like in the recessed side of neutral.

If you like your vocals and mids that much though, you should try grado headphones or the sennheiser hd598. (however, grado headphones and the hd598 are open headphones, so theyre not for portable use). 

Problem is with Beyerdynamic here in Australia we pay about $280 for a pair of DT 770's which is god awful compared to most other places. I'm auditioning my friend's ath-m50's for probably the next 2 days as I asked if I could borrow them to help me make up my mind. So far I like them slightly better than my ES7's however I wish it had the same vocal pop as the ES7's but I also know you can't get everything for a $150 price point. I've recently started looking at the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's as well as they seem similar to the DJ1's but are more comfortable with slightly less bass.

The sennheiser 598's are $300 here also which is steep. I think personally I'd be able to sacrifice some vocal and mid range clarity for a little bit of bass pop also.

Thanks for your suggestions though mate. Appreciate it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 11
  damn that sucks. Amazon.com is a blessing for me here in the usa.

we are not that much blessed
rolleyes.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Found out about the RMA process of Amazon which is pretty cool. I guess I could buy 1 or maybe 2 things that are within my prince range from there and return if I don't like them.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I would be glad to hear them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back