Over-ear headphones for a tall guy with 70mm tall ears - Sony MDR1R, NAD HP50, B&O H6 or something else?
Mar 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drummerjon

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for some new over-ear headphones. I would like to get some headphones that are comfortable to wear for long periods, will fit my ears (that are about 70mm tall and 35-40mm wide) and isolate reasonably well, so my work colleagues don't have to listen to my music and I can have some headspace for when I want to just code. I will be powering the headphones with a FiiO E7 and 320 kbit MP3s from a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

I like to listen to pop, indie, rock and the odd bit of trance, dnb and edm. After much deliberating, I think I have narrowed down the choices to Sony MDR1R, NAD HP50 and B&O H6. The MDR1R appeal because they're the cheapest ($150 used from Amazon), but I have read that the isolation isn't all that great, and the build quality is not the best either. The HP50 looked good from reviews, but I am slightly concerned that they'll be a bit too small for my ears. I can't find much bad things being said about the H6 (other than perhaps the cost), so I am leaning towards them at the moment. Are there any other headphones that you would recommend instead of these?

I live in the UK but am hoping to buy them online in USA in the next few days and get them sent to a friend, who will bring them over sometime next week. I understand that the B&O warranty would be restricted to USA if I buy them in USA.

Which would you recommend that I buy and why?

Many thanks for your help,
Jon

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Perhaps look into the AKG K550's. They have large earcups. I think either those or the NAD HP50's would suit you best.

Amazon UK sells the K550s for £109.95 (out of stock at the moment). Better to buy them there.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Very cool, thanks. May I ask why the AKGs?

EDIT: After reading the 'Size Matters' thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones), I can see why you suggested the AKG 550s. I think the Sony cans will be too small for my ears and £135 for the AKGs is lighter on my wallet than the HP50 and H6s. :) (Amazon UK won't get stock for a while and superfi is only getting them next week)

Looks like I'm getting some 550s. It looks like there isn't a case included in the retail package. Do you have any suggestions for an aftermarket case?

Thanks for your help everyone!

EDIT 2: I placed an order for a pair of AKG 550s and a Slappa Large HardBody PRO Headphone case. Looking forward to receiving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back