Over ear headphones for $50-$150
Jul 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

crimson777

New Head-Fier
Hey, first post here, and I'm looking to get new headphones. I have Klipsch Image S4s, but the left ear is making no sound, and I'm not sure I like in-ears as much as I thought. I'm heading off to college, so I knew I wanted something contained (not on ear), but I knew I'd keep them in my dorm, so over ear is great.

I'm looking for headphones that are around $50 to $150, that are fairly comfortable and durable. I listen mostly to stuff with less emphasis on the bass, so I don't need a booming bass, but I don't want a tinny bass either. I definitely want to feel like I'm in the music, so a good soundstage is important. I want warm tones, and great high end, since I listen to a lot of music with strings, horns, piano, etc. So, I might be being too ambitious with the quality of sound I want for that price, but if anyone can help, it's you guys.

Some examples of music I listen to are Mumford and Sons, Gungor, Weaver at the Loom, Ben Folds Five, Dave Matthews Band, etc. Basically music with a lot of emotion, a variety of instruments, and an emphasis on lyrics and vocals.

Thank you in advance

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 19
Closed or open headphones? does it matter?

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 19
Sorry I forgot that part, closed would be better because of the noise isolation, both ways. I'd rather block out other sound, and I'd rather not annoy everyone else (my roommate, whoever). So unless there are open headphones that are pretty isolated, closed.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 19
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Mostly my Macbook Pro or my iPhone, so nothing too fancy. I've found that good headphones make even iPhones sound good though.

Do you plan on using the headphones on the move, with the iPhone?

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 19
These are very comfortable, they offer a fairly neutral sound, they fit your budget, and they isolate sound fairly well.

Brand new @ $70

Jaycar Pro Monitor

If you did want an amp, you could probably get either a Fiio E11 or a cMoyBB as well.

$130 for the cans and an amp.
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Assuming you would be keeping them at home (not good for carrying around), the ATH-A900X sound perfect for you. They will excel at those genres of music. They have been down in price to around $160 at buydig (not at the moment). The A900X really compete in the $225 and under class of headphones, so worth a little wait to see if they come back down in price.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 19
Spinnin, I'm not sure I want a generic copy of something else, and I can't find many reviews. Not all of the few I've found are even remotely positive. And I'm not really looking for an amp.

Ezio, I'm not a big fan of headphones with the inline mic/remote type stuff. It seems to screw up the sound sometimes, and it's just extra bulk. But the Citiscape Uptowns look pretty good regardless, and I'll definitely look into them. The Sony MDR-ZX600 also looks pretty good, and at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards that.

Smoother, I did say over ear, and not in ear, so I'm not looking at the DUNU's.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 19
Maybe sth from ATH? Most of Their product has less bass than others. I like bass, so I don't really know them. Anyway,you could take a look.
Actually,I think music with little bass won't make you feel comfortable with long time

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 19
I never said I wanted less bass, it just wasn't important to have headphones like the Beats with booming bass that overtakes the rest. So I'm fine with a regular amount of bass, I just don't want anything that's bass-enhanced or anything like that.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Spinnin, I'm not sure I want a generic copy of something else, and I can't find many reviews. Not all of the few I've found are even remotely positive. And I'm not really looking for an amp.

I'm pretty sure they are all made in the same factory, they just get a different logo and packaging before they go out the door. Kind of like the Creative Aurvana Live! being a resurrection of a discontinued Denon. Totally up to you of course. You could get the Brainwavz HM5 instead.

I hope you find something you like

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 19
You should also check out the Pioneer STEEZ 808. Its worth the time, trust me.

Ezio, I'm not a big fan of headphones with the inline mic/remote type stuff. It seems to screw up the sound sometimes, and it's just extra bulk. But the Citiscape Uptowns look pretty good regardless, and I'll definitely look into them. The Sony MDR-ZX600 also looks pretty good, and at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards that.

Smoother, I did say over ear, and not in ear, so I'm not looking at the DUNU's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back