Over-ear headphone recommendations needed!
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AdamUK

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've spent what seems like two days going through various posts on here to see what peoples recommendations are for a good set of cans. I by no means am an audiophile, but I am a lover of listening to music at its best.

Just to give you a bit of background, I've previously owned a Grado SR60i, Grado SR80i and Audio Technica M50 (Coiled) set of headphones. I loved my SR60i's but unfortunately they died and I chose to upgrade to the SR80i's. I personally felt that they just weren't half as good. My M50's were terrible to start out but after wearing in, I actually grew to like them.

After much searching and viewing of recommendations, I was almost set on leaving to grab a pair of the Sennheiser 598's but something is holding me back.

Music wise, I'm one of the most eclectic guys you'll meet. If I really had to put my primary category down, it would be acoustic based stuff, so acoustic and vocals are very important to me. However, I do also listen to hip hop, r n b, classic rock and 70s stuff (I did say I was eclectic!).

I think the reason I'm holding back on the Sennheiser 598's is mainly because people say they lack bass. I'm not a bass head, but I like my bass to be there and ready to give some when needed.

I will be using the headphones through my computer (streaming via Spotify) and don't need them to be even remotely portable. I currently have a Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card (I think this is probably discontinued now) but wouldn't mind shelling out separately for an amp (again, if anyone can offer decent suggestions that would be great).

Budget wise, I originally set my figure to 200GBP (311$ according to the exchange rate today) but I don't mind pushing it to 300GBP (466$) or even further if someone can offer sound suggestions.

Hopefully I've included the majority of stuff you'll need to offer some suggestions but if not, let me know :)

Many thanks,
Adam

PS: The UK (or at least around my area) I can't seem to locate any shops which have headphones out on display for you to try. So please bear that in mind before telling me to do that!

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 18
Hello!

Welcome to Head-Fi! but sorry about your wallet xD

Is there anything that you do not like on your previous owned Grados and ATH-M50? If you like the bright Grado nature [which I am becoming a fan of :D ] and the somewhat deep bass of ATH-M50, I will suggest you to look into AKG K550 if you have big heads otherwise, you can actually mod the K550 a lil to make it fit you to achieve the perfect sound of it

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 18
Many thanks both. These aren't originally one of the ones that I was considering and it comes well within budget. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what that shows :)

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 18
Out of interest, would the Sennheiser 650's be any good for what I've said? Or again, will that lack any form of bass? I'm trying my best not to stress bass because I don't want anyone recommending bass-head cans but... reiterating what I said, I just want it to be there when it counts.

Are the 650's any good, un-amped?

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 18
  Out of interest, would the Sennheiser 650's be any good for what I've said? Or again, will that lack any form of bass? I'm trying my best not to stress bass because I don't want anyone recommending bass-head cans but... reiterating what I said, I just want it to be there when it counts.

No,in fact,un-amped they are horrid,moreso even amped theyre not so great as theyre very hard to drive.It was only after I heard the 650s through the HiFi M8 that I finally got to hear what 650s are supposed to sound like...and they sounded great...paired with an amp DAC that nearly 3 times the price of the HP 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 18

Driving the HD650 unamped is like eating bread without NUTELLA! You won't get the good taste of it but just a very plain taste of the soft bread xD

But with an amp, it's like NUTELLA + secret recipe on the bread! Every bite makes you wanted more xD

Billson :)

I'm desperate for Nutella so yeah HAHA XD

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 18
Hi Billson,

I've just had an e-mail saying that they won't be delivered today as they've somehow messed my order up. Nevertheless, I've had a refund from them. 

Have you tried the Sennheiser Momentums? I have a shop near by where I can pick them up from rather than mess around ordering them online. 

Thanks!
Adam

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 18
  Hi Billson,

I've just had an e-mail saying that they won't be delivered today as they've somehow messed my order up. Nevertheless, I've had a refund from them. 

Have you tried the Sennheiser Momentums? I have a shop near by where I can pick them up from rather than mess around ordering them online. 

Thanks!
Adam

Hello!

The Momentum have more bass slightly loose and less soundstage as well as imaging in comparison to the K550 but other than that, it's a great pair of headphone for on the go use and does not require an amp to shine :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Just popped into a local store and tried the momentums and nothing blew me away. If anything, I thought my M50s sounded better, but it's been a while since I've listened through any quality cans! If I upped my budget (within reason) can anyone recommend anything else?

Just to reiterate:-
- Something as comfy as possible as I'll be wearing them for extensive periods.
- They do NOT need to be portable as I'll only be using them at my PC.
- Main genres I listen to are acoustic/piano/vocal stuff. However, I do often change to old school hip hop which have quite distinct bass lines.
- Budget was originally 300£(468$) may be willing to push this slightly higher for the right ones.

Many many thanks!

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 18
  Just popped into a local store and tried the momentums and nothing blew me away. If anything, I thought my M50s sounded better, but it's been a while since I've listened through any quality cans! If I upped my budget (within reason) can anyone recommend anything else?

Just to reiterate:-
- Something as comfy as possible as I'll be wearing them for extensive periods.
- They do NOT need to be portable as I'll only be using them at my PC.
- Main genres I listen to are acoustic/piano/vocal stuff. However, I do often change to old school hip hop which have quite distinct bass lines.
- Budget was originally 300£(468$) may be willing to push this slightly higher for the right ones.

Many many thanks!

Try the KEF500s...closed cans but the best Ive heard yet,easy to drive,even un-amped.The only thing I dont like about them is the sound stage(or lack thereof)but that seems to be a closed can issue rather than a KEF issue...If you can afford an amp the Sennhesier 600s are nice as are the 650s when properly amped,but for your musicla tastes I'dd suggest the 600s(with amp) or KEf500s(with or without amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back