Over Ear Headphone recommendations around 350$
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am current am using Fiio X5 (gen1) and Dunu DN 2000 IEM.

My primary music choices are classic Rock to Alternate, with bit of Nine Inch Nails and Daft Punk sprinkled around.

I was keen on VModa's and tried them out , was not truly impressed. I am not sure if they need external amp to fire them or Their sound itself isnt as good as i expected.

My only considerations for Over the Year are these:

1) within my price range , pushing max up to 350$
2) I prefer real alive music, which is closer to band/live music stage.
3) My genres of music
4) Ears are bit on regular size, long term earphones pressing down the ear makes me uncomfortable, thus preference for Over the ear than on-the-ear.
5) lastly bit confused, i do understand for my type of music i probably should look at an open back headphones. However worried about two things a) ambient sounds (dont want metro noises or compromise on noise isolation)  b) do not want others to get disturbed by music as i have read, its like a two way street, and open back people can hear your music as well.
6) sorry to add this in end - also portability as i want to carry them around.

So perfect fit would be an Headphone, thats sounds like Open back, but is closed one for noise isolation, within my price range, bit bigger thus over the year.

If i missed out any details that might help anyone suggest please let me know.

Thank you ... :)

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 25
Since its looks like you will be taking them around I agree with the closed recommendation however in the portable cat none is going to have the big soundstage of open headphones. 

Recommend audition the Senns Momentum 2 Around ear - really nice sound good bass but not overemphasized - overall really nice headphone.
The new Meze 99 classics are getting great reviews.
Also check the link below for some additional recommendations.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-28-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 25
@thejammonster
Crossfade LP2,  I dont know didnt feel any music was like Brilliant on them.  The Rock felt just all right, so did the Electronica.  Nothing came as brilliant and alive like the Dunu2000.  So may be i was hoping for a signature like that.

Plus Crossfade has these shape of ear cushions that press the ear at one end.  So post hour or so it starts hurting the ear.  Also didnt find isolation that great. Ambient noise was pretty much audible with Fiio running on volume 100. 

I am not able to express quality of music as you guys do. However if i could say i love the richness in music, so both music n vocals coming as if i am sitting in the studio itself.  Dunu's sound i felt amazing in that sense.

If found their cable, the carry box the best. It surely gets super compact and very portable.

@Maelob
Yes after reading many reviews i realized that may be richness of true music might come with open cans.  However both travel and work it can become disturbing.  At travel world would disturb me and at work I would disturb the world.

I thus was trying if anyone tried any headphones which are closed with great isolation but sound similar to an Open can.

I would check both Meze 99 and Senn momentum 2.0

I had done some more reading made this was in my consideration set -

NAD - VISO HP50
B&W P7
Oppo PM3
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6

Meze 99 and Senn Momentum 2.0 also fall in same..... list now

Read about Beoplay's lack of case and that would be bothersome.  

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 25
Read a lot today on shortlisted ones. Somewhere Shure SRH1540 is equally well received.

Oppo PM3  Or  Meze 99 or Shure SRH1540

All get great cases and Meze and Shure would cost around 375$ sorts  and PM3 touches 400$.

out of these 3 since I wouldnt have option to hear and buy, any comments -  keeping music choices, isolation, player in mind

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 25
For all rounder PM-3s are awesome, you can take them on the go without looking weird.  Great sound non fatiguing you can listen for a long time.  Only caveat is not a huge soundstage, but for me that not a big deal.  Really solid. Have not heard the other ones. I used to have the Shure 940 great all around sound but too big to take on the street. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back