Over-Ear Headphone Recommendation for *Light* Outdoor Walks?
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

furusatoe

New Head-Fier
I do most of my music/podcast listening while I'm out walking around my neighborhood -- anywhere from 10-30 minutes, usually. At most I'd work up a light sweat from this exercise; and, often, no sweat at all. I currently use Bose SoundSport earbuds I bought in 2018, which work well but I want to transition away from earbuds to over-ear headphones. At my computer I use a pair of Sony MDR7506 Professional headphones I bought in 2014, which still work but are kinda beat-up at this point (and are plug-in, not Bluetooth). I am looking for over-ear headphones that wouldn't be uncomfortable for light exercise and wouldn't get damaged if I were caught outside in some rain.

Here are some more specifications I'm looking for:

Budget: $200 - $500

Source: iPhone / Computer (PC) (multi-connection very much preferred here)

Isolation Requirement: Imperative that these do not leak music to those around me, especially in a quiet environment like a library

Use in Public: Yes

Preferred Type: Over-Ear, Bluetooth

Tonal Balance: Normal? I'm not an audiophile on this point.

Past Headphones: Bose SoundSport (good sound, but sometimes irritating due to being earbuds; also don't pair well with a PC), Sony MDR7506 Professional (good sound, very comfortable, but have begun to leak sound a lot even on low volume, and cannot use without a plug-in hookup).

Preferred Music: honestly listen to just about everything. Some favorite genres: post-punk, dub, hip-hop, art pop, mpb, vgm

Here are some headphones I am currently considering (though I'm happy to consider others):

- Sony WH-1000XM4
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II
- Bose Noise Cancelling 700
- Bowers & Wilkins PX7

Any advice, suggestions would be appreciated. Most headphone advice I've found does not address the outdoor listening environment, which is why I made a separate thread.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the tip! The XM3 and XM4 are probably the two I've considered the most, though I'm unsure if the XM4 is substantially better than the XM3, and I'm unsure if either would be a good pick for the kind of outdoor listening environment I described.

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 8
They serve their purpose; I can still hear around me, which is most important to me even though I live in a much more quiet area. I did have my XM3 when living in San Francisco, and the weather was always hit or miss with rain. I had no problems with it, most likely the same if I was still living their w/ the XM4s. Worse, order from Amazon or someplace that allows returns and try them out at the end of the day. What might work for others here might not be the same for you. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Sony XM3 should be ideal for that but I would rather get in-ear ones. If you're walking, your head might get sweaty in regular headphones. Don't get XM4, they're almost the same for almost 100$ more.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 8
They serve their purpose; I can still hear around me, which is most important to me even though I live in a much more quiet area. I did have my XM3 when living in San Francisco, and the weather was always hit or miss with rain. I had no problems with it, most likely the same if I was still living their w/ the XM4s. Worse, order from Amazon or someplace that allows returns and try them out at the end of the day. What might work for others here might not be the same for you. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

Sony XM3 should be ideal for that but I would rather get in-ear ones. If you're walking, your head might get sweaty in regular headphones. Don't get XM4, they're almost the same for almost 100$ more.

Thanks! This is actually another one of my questions: whether the XM4 is substantially better than the XM3. The main feature that attracts me to the XM4 is that it has multi-device pair, while apparently the XM3 does not? I can get the XM3 for much less than the XM4 (was made aware of a sale for new ones for $200), so I'm anxious about whether the XM4 is worth the extra cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back