Over-Ear Headphone Recommendation Around $100
Mar 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MuttonChew

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I first joined Head-Fi a few years ago when I started to get interested in some higher quality audio options and settled on a pair of Shure SRH440s.
I really enjoy these headphones from the sound department, but they have to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones on the planet.
It seems I can barely use them for more than half an hour before the top of my head starts to feel like it's being bruised.

Because of this, I've decided to look for a replacement. I'll probably end up selling or trading the Shures so i'm looking for something around the same price ($100).
Here's my wishlist for the replacement cans:

- Comfortable!
   - Over-ear
   - Fairly neutral
   - Decent soundstage
   - Low impedence
   - Around $100 USD

I've done a bit of research but I can't seem to find exactly what i'm looking for. 
The Grado SR80e seems to check a few boxes but I've heard they can be uncomfortable too.

What do you guys think? 

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hello all,

I first joined Head-Fi a few years ago when I started to get interested in some higher quality audio options and settled on a pair of Shure SRH440s.
I really enjoy these headphones from the sound department, but they have to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones on the planet.
It seems I can barely use them for more than half an hour before the top of my head starts to feel like it's being bruised.

Because of this, I've decided to look for a replacement. I'll probably end up selling or trading the Shures so i'm looking for something around the same price ($100).

- Comfortable!
   - Over-ear
   - Fairly neutral
   - Decent soundstage
   - Low impedence
   - Around $100 USD

I've done a bit of research but I can't seem to find exactly what i'm looking for. 
The Grado SR80e seems to check a few boxes but I've heard they can be uncomfortable too.

What do you guys think? 

You did not specify open or closed.

Open: SHP9500S, ATH-AD700X, HD558

Closed: Kingston HyperX Cloud II, ATH-M40X

A few thoughts for you.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 6
A very cheap option is the Superlux HD-668 B. Great sound for the price ($40 at amazon). 56 ohm. Decent comfort that can be improved by replacing stock earpads with others like the AKG K-240. A transparent and clear sound with somewhat piercing highs but good punchy bass and neutral mids. Sound improves with burn-in.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 6

- Comfortable!
   - Over-ear
   - Fairly neutral
   - Decent soundstage
   - Low impedence
   - Around $100 USD

What do you guys think? 

The SR80e only ticks two boxes. Maybe three since an all-metal frame (ie no hard plastic) headband can be bent to improve ergonomics, so they can be comfortable (enough), but:

1. If by "over-ear" you mean "circumaural" (I'm not sure why "over ear" got so popular since it's highly synonymous with "on-ear") then it isn't. In the pic below you'll clearly see the top of the earlobe poking out above the driver - at best, you reshape the headband so the pressure isn't all on the upper earlobe, and more spread out.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9f/9f69844b_blog_Grado_SR80i_Headphones_15_of_17.jpeg

That said, you can convert it to circumaural. But if you don't have access to a 3D printer or wood working tools, it's gonna cost you.
http://www.headphile.com/page15.html

2. "Fairly" neutral can be arguable though considering your alternatives at this price point are too loud bass or early bass roll off then otherwise boring or has peaky treble. The SR80e has early bass roll off and peaky treble, but it has midrange and upper bass boost that pushes vocals forward and emphasizes the beat of the music, which, along with high sensitivity, makes for a presentation that makes all music sound more "alive" through Grados.

3. Soundstage isn't good either, but at this price point practically nothing does that well. Strong L-C-R with weak signals between L-C and C-R, drum rolls span the entire width of the image but if you really think about it that's like having a giant drummer who just fits along the width of the stage. Or the guitarists are standing to either side of the bass drum. At the very least though it doesn't really get any better for the money.

Alternately you can get the Philips SHP9500, which has a response curve similar to Grados, but it uses circumaural earpads. Not that much bigger though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back