Over ear closed headphones with good sub-bass and mids that aren't recessed.
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

limboimatic

New Head-Fier
Budget: $500 AUD

Hi, as the title suggests, I am looking for over ear closed headphones with good sub-bass and mids that aren't recessed.

When I say "good" sub-bass, I've never owned a headphone where I've actually been able to hear or feel the lower end frequencies below 100hz. I am NOT a basshead by any means, and I do not want loud thumping bass that will shake my skull. However, I want a headphone that can handle down to the lowest frequency, and I want to be able to hear/feel the low-end, but it doesn't need to have A LOT of quantity, just enough so it is nice and audible.

I own the V-Moda M80 now and they are great (obviously not in sub-bass), but I find that on some tracks the mids definitely sound recessed and at times are quite hard to make out. Also in some music I listen to they could definitely be perceived as muddy (some grindcore/metalcore albums for example). Therefore I've pretty much crossed out the M100 as a candidate.

I also own the ATH-MSR7 and I really love the overall sound, but I always felt like I was missing out on low-end details. On top of that, I would have preferred more pronounced bass overall.

Ideally I'd like the bass to be emphasised overall, because I feel that it helps separate the other instruments in the music I listen to. By the way, the primary genres I listen to include most hardcore punk variants, dark ambient/drone, and some noise.

One headphone I've looked at over the past couple of days has been the OPPO PM-3. Would this be suitable for what I'm looking for? By the way, it costs exactly $500 AUD (my budget) if I were to purchase them.

One more thing! I don't plan on using EQ because I do not have the equipment and I hate software EQ. My current amp/dac is the Schiit Magni and Modi 2, and I hope these are okay.

Sorry for the wall of text. But tl;dr would simply be the title. And maybe slight emphasis on the bass in general, without withdrawing the mids.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
The Shure SRH1540 looks so nice. It costs $700 here in Australia, though. I guess I'll just have to save up. I already really liked the sound of the SRH840, so if the 1540 had some low-end, I can see how amazing that would be. Of course they might be completely different though.

Any other recommendations for headphones that cost less? I know I'll be missing out on the refined sound and won't be able to get the best of both worlds that I'm asking for, but it's ok if the mids are slightly recessed, just not as much as the V-Moda headphones. It's just so I have a few more options. I'm probably not interested in the DT770 or ATH-M50x (I own very similar models and do not like their sound).

Edit: The NAD VISO HP50 seems to have a similar sound signature to what I want, and is much cheaper. Would anyone recommend these? Maybe the Focal Spirit Pro or OPPO PM-3?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
The Shure SRH1540 looks so nice. It costs $700 here in Australia, though. I guess I'll just have to save up. I already really liked the sound of the SRH840, so if the 1540 had some low-end, I can see how amazing that would be. Of course they might be completely different though.

Any other recommendations for headphones that cost less? I know I'll be missing out on the refined sound and won't be able to get the best of both worlds that I'm asking for, but it's ok if the mids are slightly recessed, just not as much as the V-Moda headphones. It's just so I have a few more options. I'm probably not interested in the DT770 or ATH-M50x (I own very similar models and do not like their sound).

Edit: The NAD VISO HP50 seems to have a similar sound signature to what I want, and is much cheaper. Would anyone recommend these? Maybe the Focal Spirit Pro or OPPO PM-3?

The 1540’s are known for their low end, comfort, wide soundstage, and excellent build quality. You can find them on this forum used for under $400. Based on what your preferences are, this headphone is for you. The Nad VISO sounds decent, but I found it very uncomfortable. And in terms of build quality, it is far below the 1540.
The PM3 was a huge disappointment for me. It’s average for comfort, but it has a rolled off treble and one of the smallest soundstage’s I’ve ever heard.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 6
The 1540’s are known for their low end, comfort, wide soundstage, and excellent build quality. You can find them on this forum used for under $400. Based on what your preferences are, this headphone is for you. The Nad VISO sounds decent, but I found it very uncomfortable. And in terms of build quality, it is far below the 1540.
The PM3 was a huge disappointment for me. It’s average for comfort, but it has a rolled off treble and one of the smallest soundstage’s I’ve ever heard.

I auditioned the 1540's shortly a few years ago and remember thinking the were pretty good; I also had the Oppo PM3's for a week and found them to be abysmal, hard pass on that one.
If you can find a Sony MDR7520 in your price range I'd say check it out for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back