Over Ear Closed for $200
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 22
I would have kept the 840s if they were more comfortable. I agree that they are richer and fuller than the M50s.  I had issues with the 840's weight, headband, and the shallowness of the cups.  If comfort is not a huge issue for you, the 840s would be good.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 22
D1100, Bose QC15, Klipsch Image ONE, DT1350,T50, HFI550 and JVC MX10.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 22
Seeing as you're going unamped to an iPod, the M50s are the best bet. They're pretty much the default entry-level audiophile headphone, and cost about 150 USD. They run very well without an amp (though they are even more astounding with one) and will have you lusting after great sound like theirs in no time. The M50s are a tiny bit bassy for some users, but seeing as you're listening to Rock and Hip-Hop, that should not be a problem. I personally love my M50s, and I was in the same situation as you less than a year ago. I now have owned over a dozen headphones and earphones (most of them high-end), and the M50s are still second place on the list for their sheer unamped practicality. If you're not using an external amp, the M50s cannot be beat.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 22
my opinion i'd vote for the shure 840s.

i like them bettter than the m50 in every way except they are a bit heavier.  but the 840s are more comfortable to my head overall.

also forget 32 ohm beyers.
i love the cans but not without significant power.

also the hfi 780s may be a good choice as well.  but i have no experience with them

good luck, and remember you really can't go wrong with any of them

one more thing, if comfort of the shures is a concern go to a guitar center and try a pair on for 10 minutes.
you'll know if the headband is gonna bother you or not.  ive heard it puts pressure on the tops of some peoples heads.  im not sure about exactly because they don't do it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back