Over ear closed back portable headphone recommendation
Jul 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

auee

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it all with one big exception in my dream scenario the phones would have the mid-range of the Grado headphones such as the 325s that I owned for a short period of time but not the lower treble brightness, the discomfort, and the lack of low bass and will be over ear and closed or sealed. I just need to stress that I do not enjoy headphones that have a recessed mid-range; music reproduced in that manner does not keep my foot tapping.

I have been reading about the closed portable planar phones from Oppo and Audeze, but there are so many conflicting opinions that I cannot discern whether they have the mid-range like the Grados that I enjoyed so much. 

I am stuck and need your assistance with much thanks. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 4
What you want seems to be contradictory. For a good midrange and nice soundstage, open Sennheiser circumaural headphones are great. Closed circumaural headphones tend to be uncomfortable, either due to high clamping force and/or overheating ears. Closed circumaural headphones also aren't very portable. Have you considered buying an IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone) that is a hybrid balanced armature and dynamic design? The new XBA-A2 has gotten great reviews. It has two BA drivers and one 12mm dynamic driver. BA drivers are great for midrange detail and for treble, however they don't deliver the very impactful bass that many seek. I have the Sony XBA-1 single BA IEM. It has very nice midrange and highs, however its bass is not as impactful as most of the other IEMs I have. Having a decent sized dynamic driver as well seems to solve that issue. The XBA-A2 intrigues me, however I an not ready to spend that much on an IEM, and am waiting for the price to decline substantially.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-A2-Balanced-Armature-Headphone/dp/B00WJISPI0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437668419&sr=1-1&keywords=XBA-A2

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for suggestion but I cannot use IEMs; I tried but am not comfortable putting them in my ears. And by portable i am just looking for phones that can be folded into a hard case. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for suggestion but I cannot use IEMs; I tried but am not comfortable putting them in my ears. And by portable i am just looking for phones that can be folded into a hard case. 

Initially I wasn't comfortable using IEMs, however I got used to them. I find that my ears overheating when using a closed circumaural headphone to be much more uncomfortable than most IEMs are.. Of all the IEMs I have, I find that those that are ergonomically shaped, with the nozzle coming out an angle from the edge, or those that are straight but quite narrow to be most comfortable. The key is selecting appropriate tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back