Over-ear, closed back headphones for metal
Sep 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lastshadow94

New Head-Fier
Alright, fellas, here's the deal. I'm a college student with limited budget, and I've been using pretty terrible in-ear headphones for a few months, and I'm looking to upgrade. I want something with good sound insulation (internal and external), comfortable, and probably max around $80 (although if there's something that's a little more, post it anyway, I might be able to find it online used or refurbished). In terms of what I'm listening to, it's almost exclusively rock and metal, but with a pretty wide variation within that. My music taste covers classic rock (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Motley Crue), hard rock (Godsmack, Audioslave, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Flogging Molly), classic metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica), more modern symphonic or melodic stuff (Blind Guardian, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, Kamelot, Van Canto, Sabaton), prog rock/metal (Kansas, Dream Theater, Born of Osiris, Periphery, Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders), straight up heavy stuff (Decapitated, Nile, As I Lay Dying, Behemoth, Gojira, Meshuggah, Vildjharta, Lamb of God, Fear Factory), and some alternative/nu metal (Korn, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, U2, Tool, Seether). I watch movies or play games through headphones once in a while, but that isn't a huge concern. Similar deal with wearability- if I can wear them while I'm lifting weights or on an elliptical machine, great, but not vital. One last consideration is that I don't really have access to a way to try out headphones (I'm in a small town in Indiana), so anything I get is going to be through Amazon or something equivalent. 

Basic summary:
Good sound quality with decent reproduction of music
Relatively cheap (although more expensive stuff is fine if I can get it used or refurbished)
Rock/metal emphasis
Sound cancelling/isolating 
Over-ear (unless there's something absolutely fantastic that's in-ear, but no on-ear)
More comfortable would be better, but I can deal with it if it isn't great

I know it's really specific, but from what I've seen on this site, people seem to rise to the occasion. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 3
I think youre wanting for something "fast" but neutral for metal...

I listen to alot of classic metal(Priest,Maiden,Motorhead,Metallica...etc..) as well as classic rock amongst others...

Neu metal is often down tuned and sounds good with something with tight fast bass response.

Id advise against cans that are warm,bass heavy or V-shaped...in other words,try neutral!

Cant advise you on cans in that price range,but im sure others can...best of luck 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back