Over-ear, closed-back headphones for gaming - $50-70
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tacanacy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an over-ear, closed-back headphone for gaming.
Soundstage, imaging, clarity, detail retrieval and separation are priorities. No bass or treble preferences.
The budget is $70 if V-MODA BoomPro is compatible and $50 if the mic isn't compatible.
The only ones I've found so far that aren't discontinued are Samson SR950 and Status CB-1.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm looking for an over-ear, closed-back headphone for gaming, primarily FPS games, in the $40-50 range.
Soundstage, imaging, clarity, detail retrieval and separation are priorities. No bass or treble preferences. Velour earpads are preferred if the pads aren't replaceable or are difficult to find replacements for.
The only one I've found so far that's not discontinued is Samson SR950.
Check out the Takstar Pro 82. It's available on aliexpress for just a bit over your budget. Nice soundstage for gaming. Nicely balanced signature for the money. It's my number one choice for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Check out the Takstar Pro 82. It's available on aliexpress for just a bit over your budget. Nice soundstage for gaming. Nicely balanced signature for the money. It's my number one choice for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you.
Takstar offers some nice values.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 7

Do you know how it compares to Pro 80? I'm looking for alternatives to HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX since I think these have horrible sound quality and sonic properties for gaming. I've read that they are rebranded Pro 80. I've heard Philips SHP9500 and Superlux HD668B, so I know there are far better headphones for the same price when you add a ModMic or BoomPro mic to them. I'm now trying to find a nearly equally good closed-back variant of these.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 7
I thought you were looking for closed-back, sorry. If you want open, the SHP9500 would be a good option in your price range. For sure. The 668b tends toward the harsh on top, sibilant, IMO. If up-tilted treble doesn't bother you, then it would probably work just fine. If you are sensitive to treble, I'd stay away.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I thought you were looking for closed-back, sorry. If you want open, the SHP9500 would be a good option in your price range. For sure. The 668b tends toward the harsh on top, sibilant, IMO. If up-tilted treble doesn't bother you, then it would probably work just fine. If you are sensitive to treble, I'd stay away.

No, closed-back is what I'm looking for. What I meant is that I have SHP9500 and HD668B.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Ah. Well, if you want to stay away from Takstar, maybe check out the M30x. It could work. It images reasonably well and is quite comfortable. I own one and I like it a lot. I listen to it regularly, despite having more expensive options. You should check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back