Output Problems with Chaintech AV710
May 18, 2004 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheBigDu

Head-Fier
When I first got this card a few weeks back, the front (green) speaker output worked fine. Then I turned on the 2-channel high-sampling feature, and switched my speakers to the rear channel (next to the digital output). Now, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the green output to work anymore. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times, and everytime, after rebooting, the VIA Audiodeck shows that there is sound going into the front channel in regular 2-channel mode, but I hear nothing. If I move the speakers to the rear out and switch to 2-Channel High-sampling I get sound. And in all the surround modes, the front channel doesn't work either. What gives?

May 19, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 15
bump...

And, now it's gotten so bad, that even in 2-channel hi-res mode, the master volume control does not affect the left channel, only the right, even though the vinyl audiodeck shows both thinks being turned down/up.

This is getting annoying, I really hope my card didn't just turn defective.

May 19, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 15
In the last few revisions of the drivers for AV-710 (that I've tried), the volume control in high-rez mode has been broken. It seems to change the left/right balance and not the volume (or maybe balance AND volume at the same time?).

May 19, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 15
thanks, can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the older drivers that didn't have this problem? I have driver 5.12.01.3631 bui. Thanks.

May 19, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 15
that old set of drivers didn't work at all, since the only output working on my card anymore is the 2-channel hi-res mode using the rear output as front, and the old drivers didn't have this option.

Anyway, I can deal with having only one output if VIA would come out with drivers that actually allowed the master control to control the left channel, too.

May 20, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
that old set of drivers didn't work at all, since the only output working on my card anymore is the 2-channel hi-res mode using the rear output as front, and the old drivers didn't have this option.

Anyway, I can deal with having only one output if VIA would come out with drivers that actually allowed the master control to control the left channel, too.

The old driver did hi-res/alternate channel too, it's just buried in some obscure check box, somewhere near the digital output settings, IIRC.

I'm able to use the newer drivers by setting the master volume to max while in regular two channel mode (there's no volume bug in 2 channel mode) then switching to hi-res and only using the rear-speaker control on the "playback" tab from then on.

May 20, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Yeah, I think to use high-rez mode in the old driver you had to enable digital output before it will let you enable the high-rez mode.

May 20, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

When I first got this card a few weeks back, the front (green) speaker output worked fine. Then I turned on the 2-channel high-sampling feature, and switched my speakers to the rear channel (next to the digital output). Now, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the green output to work anymore. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times, and everytime, after rebooting, the VIA Audiodeck shows that there is sound going into the front channel in regular 2-channel mode, but I hear nothing. If I move the speakers to the rear out and switch to 2-Channel High-sampling I get sound. And in all the surround modes, the front channel doesn't work either. What gives?

You need to stop all audio streams to get the channel switchover to take place. If you have some app that grabs an audio stream (even if it's not playing anything) it can prevent the switchover. A good way to check is to look at the playback rate in the latest drivers. If they show 96khz, you're in hirez; if the channel option doesn't correspond to the sample rate, then you're in some grey area. In any case, you've prolly hosed your system from reinstalling the drivers too many times, that can happen...
BTW, are you sure you're using the right green input? I just looked at the back of my card, and it looks like the line in is green, but maybe it's lime yellow, eh?

May 20, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Yeah, no matter what I try, I can't get the green (line-out) output to work anymore. And with the old drivers, the hi-rez mode, when on, doesn't even work coming out of the rear output.

You say I may have "hosed" my system, which is very possible, but how can I fix this problem? I tried changing PCI slots and got the same results. So is there any way I can go into the registry (i'm on Windows XP) and clear everything having to do with the audio, or just the Envy drivers?

Thanks.

May 20, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Yeah, no matter what I try, I can't get the green (line-out) output to work anymore. And with the old drivers, the hi-rez mode, when on, doesn't even work coming out of the rear output.

You say I may have "hosed" my system, which is very possible, but how can I fix this problem? I tried changing PCI slots and got the same results. So is there any way I can go into the registry (i'm on Windows XP) and clear everything having to do with the audio, or just the Envy drivers?

Thanks.

I would yank the card, uninstall the drivers, check to make sure there aren't any VIA/Audio Deck folders left, then use system restore to take your registry back to a point before you installed the card on your system. Disable any onboard sound in the BIOS. Then reinstall with the latest drivers, and make sure you visit windows updates to reapply any patches that may have been removed by doing the restore. The drivers/Audio Deck touch/change registry settings all over the place, I've checked with Winternals... I'm not sure it's possible to manually change the registry back. Oh, just to make sure, are you running Audio Deck from an administrative account? It has real problems when it's not.

May 21, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 15
yeah, i'm on an admin. account. thanks for the help.

I'm going to remove both the Chaintech and my Audigy 1 (which is running with kx drivers). Then I'm going to make sure both cards' drivers are uninstalled completely (and folders). Then I'm going to put the chaintech back in, in a different PCI slot alltogether. I'm going to turn on the comp. and when windows asks me to point to driver location I'll direct it to the driver folder in the old version of the VIA drivers, then I'll install Audiodeck separately after that. Hopefully, this will work. If not, then surely there's no luck.

As is, I can get the hi-rez mode to work correctly on the newest drivers (except for that annoying volume/balance control problem). But I would really like the card to work properly no matter what.

Thanks again guys.

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 15
Bringing a long dead thread back to life...

I'm having the same exact problem; first I was only getting sound out of both channels, then only out of my right, then I had no sound at all coming out of my green line out.

I tried everything the OP did, and I even reformatted and updated my BIOS but the problem still persists. The only thing I can think of which could have screwed anything up is switching between hi-quality 2.1 and regular 2.1 kind of fast (if that's even possible).

To make matters worse: The problem now also happens to my Audiomax card that came with my motherboard. Both cards worked correctly when I first got them.

If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 15
The previously mentioned 'fix' works. Close all audio applications you're using, switch to regular two channel, play something through it, close your player, then switch back to High Res. Pisses me off, but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back