OutKast's new album
Sep 25, 2003 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard the new double album. It is pretty outta control.
Dre and Big boi each have done solo efforts but rather than split up, they just produced a double disk.
The disk really showcases each rappers talents and strengths and brings alot of light to the unique sound of outkast.

Most of Dre's cd is really experimental. He has a five minute track that is basically an old jazz standard, "favorite things" backed by a blazing semi-jungle beat in the background.

Big Boi's disk consists mostly of some of the hardest hitting beats I have heard out of rap in awhile. It is easy to think of him as the less "artistic" of the duo but his lyrical acrobatics bring earn new respect from me every day.

I miss the wonderful chemistry that Outkast's combined efforts produces but it is nice to hear some real fresh ideas in a medium that in my opinion is going through a phase similar to what rock went through in the 80s.(hair bands)
frown.gif

If anyone cares I can write a real review but I just wanted to get the word out.
Buy the disk!!!

By the way, the dre song on the radio sounds nothing like the rest of his disk, for better or worse. It just characterizes how "out there" most of his jams are.

Sep 25, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 17
i've been a fan of these guys since high school, which is pretty strange considering that i probably own less than a dozen rap albums, while i own hundreds of rock/pop cds.

i read about this and i am fairly excited about it. i liked stankonia and the radio obviously did too.

for the record, atliens gets my vote as best rap album of all time. i don't think anybody has heard what the genre is capable of until they've heard it.

Sep 25, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 17
Dre's video is off the hook, yes I watch MTV
redface.gif

I was going to pick up the CD on that song alone and their reputation definiltely helps that decision
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 17
Reviews I've seen have been all over the place on this one. I don't like rap but I like Outkast. Is this priced at a 2 disc cost or just as a single?

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 17
10.99 + tax at Circuit City
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 17
they call big boi's album speakerboxxx for a reason. this cd hits [size=medium]LOW[/size] on subs.

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 17
Outkast was just on Letterman and he seemed to like them.
I think it should of been released in the Summer get more people listening to it.
You know rap is breaking down barriers when drivers of NASCAR listen to Nelly along with Shania Twain.

Sep 29, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 17
I just picked up this cd set, and also the one grinch recommended. There's a relaxed vibe about ATLiens, and Speakerboxxx. Big Boi's tracks roll by too quickly on the new disc. That's really saying something from a guy (me) who doesn't like hip hop in general. The Bamboo track was strangely cute, and troubling at the same time. Highlights for me are Unhappy, and The Way You Move.

The Love Below is a little harder to listen to, and less restrained in style and lyrics. But that's fine with me. Spread is my favorite track of them all on this double-cd
580smile.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 17
if you like laid back, must do aquemini.
track 9 has gotta be one of my favorite tracks, it really shows how much of a lyrical genius Dre is. He packs in so much meaning and emotional depth in such an offhand,yet flowing manner.

Sep 30, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 17
I'll add aquemini to my wishlist. I agree with you on track 9. The little keyboard bits are perfect. Behold A Lady is also brilliant. I know you've heard the Prince comparisons, but here the synths sound cooler
580smile.gif
, and the mood is much lighter (than early Prince anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back