Outdoor/weather resistant speakers?
Mar 2, 2004 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JeffL

500+ Head-Fier
My Dad's birthday is almost here, and I think he would enjoy a decent set of outdoor speakers for some poolside musical enjoyment. I'm not talking about those fake rock speakers either, just some small mountable monitors with decent sound.

Something of about 40 watts/speaker with a decent sensitivity, and good, pronounced midrange. Not too concerned with bass, since we are surrounded by houses, but bass presence is welcomed. Not rock your socks off or anything (like ye olde DT770s, hah), but noticeable, and tight (not something that will distort at -89dB input level).

I'm not too concerned with quality, since he really isn't into all this audio stuff, but since I personally will probably spend more time outside with these than he will, it is of concern.

Price range is low, since I am broke. $100 for the pair, or slightly more if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Think EV makes some decent ones.
They are quite cheap too from memory about 150 a pair.

Mar 2, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 10
I heard some outdoor JBL speakers recently that sounded quite decent.

Take a look here for a selection of indoor/outdoor speakers from Bestbuy.

BW

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys!

I think I am partial to EV, since I know them fairly well. I will look into them.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I am wondering is if anyone can personally recommend a pair.

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Thanks guys!

I think I am partial to EV, since I know them fairly well. I will look into them.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I am wondering is if anyone can personally recommend a pair.

I've heard the evid 3.2.
I dont know if it classifies as good as outdoor speakers go since it's the only outdoor speaker Ive heard.

It sounds worse than the Paradigm Titan which makes it absolute crap in my eyes but it might fit the bill if you are looking for something cheap and decent sounding. For a "cheap" speaker, I guess I can say that it does sound decent but lacking in bass (literally none).

Im quite fussy when it comes to speaker sound quality
redface.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

For a "cheap" speaker, I guess I can say that it does sound decent but lacking in bass (literally none).

Well, on the EV site it does say that they should be coupled with the Evid 12.1 subwoofer. I guess that would make sense, if they aren't full range speakers.

Not to mention they are uuuglly
eek.gif
eek.gif

http://www.electrovoice.com/electrov...c/Picture/0.7C!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Mar 4, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Well, on the EV site it does say that they should be coupled with the Evid 12.1 subwoofer. I guess that would make sense, if they aren't full range speakers.

Not to mention they are uuuglly
eek.gif
eek.gif

http://www.electrovoice.com/electrov...c/Picture/0.7C!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

If you think they are ugly with a capitol U. I guess you have seen the EV mini monitors *cough* brick *cough*. They sound surberb though.

There are full range evids, but they cost more. Not worth it for outdoor speakers really.

Mar 4, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
If you think they are ugly with a capitol U. I guess you have seen the EV mini monitors *cough* brick *cough*. They sound surberb though.

There are full range evids, but they cost more. Not worth it for outdoor speakers really.

Now those, I can put up with. It is the round look that is a real turn off. Personally I think the mini-monitor looks just like any other cheap outdoor speaker.

So, if I go with the EV mini monitor, how do I order them, I can't find a link?? I need to check pricing too...the EV site is rather disorganized.

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Now those, I can put up with. It is the round look that is a real turn off. Personally I think the mini-monitor looks just like any other cheap outdoor speaker.

So, if I go with the EV mini monitor, how do I order them, I can't find a link?? I need to check pricing too...the EV site is rather disorganized.

The EV mini monitors cost alot (way more than your budget) more and arent weatherproof. They do sound really nice though although lacking in bass. Keep in mind that they need really good amplification to sound good. They are 85 db efficient and they are 4 Ohms. With say a marantz amp, they sound just OK. I reckon they are good value for money.

Go to an EV dealer and ask/listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back