Out of the loop, need a new music player
Aug 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I've been away for a while so I'm really out of the loop as for the recent and worthy players!

I'm basically looking for a new player since my iPhone died once again and I'm not looking forward to dropping 500$ for a new 64Gb model. I figured that by buying a separate music player I'd save money and get better quality audio.
I'm not looking at spending a fortune but I need the player to handle my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms. Having a 24 bit/192khz would also satisfy my inner geek hehe.
32gb bare minimum. 64gb would probably be perfect, but expendable storage might be preferable in the long run.

I've been looking at the hifiman HM700 and the Fiio X3 and X5. I really like the price of the hifiman hm700 considering for 250$ with RE-400 it's a good deal. The only thing that bugs me is the fact it's only 16 bit for FLAC files and only 32gb.
What are your suggestions on other players and your impressions on the players I listed? 
Thanks a bunch!

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the Fiio X3 and am very happy with it. I use it as my portable/gym set-up.  I like that the unit is small and potentialy has a large memory capability. You can find the X3 for well under $200 used. 

Also, I think it delivers very good sound for the price point.

Good luck with your search.
Enzo

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

Have you considered the iBasso DX50?  Pretty decent price and will meet all your requirements.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-5-0

The only downfall is that is only has 8GB built in.. however it allows the use of exFAT Micro SD cards so is potentially futureproof allowing upto 2TB when SD cards reach those sorts of capacities.

I think the Fiio's only allow SD cards upto 64GB though and i believe they have 2 slots so potentially can store upto 128GB Max - they also have no built in storage.

Cheers
Paul

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Also been out of the loop here.

Currently have a Cowon S9 that i've been using but the forward button doesn't work. 

Currently using it with 1964 ears V3 ciems. Any recommendations that won't utterly destroy my wallet and give me an improvement over my S9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back