out of money
Aug 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

andresgomes

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i want to ask you something, as some may know, my awesome friends broke my v moda m80, and i run out of money, so no big dreams of beyer dt990 and magni/modi. Anyway ive been looking the ath-700 wich looked pretty good (especially on price) and i wanted to as, is there going to be a huge difference betwen this 2? take in count that bass is something i really dont care

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Are you talking about the AD700(x) (open back) or A700(x) (closed back)?

I have m80s and AD900s, which are similar in fit and tone to the AD700. They are very different headphones from the m80. The AD700 will not be portable, will not be usable in noisy environments, and will have considerably less bass impact than the m80. I find the audio technica headphones quite comfortable, but they are also very delicate in comparison to v-moda builds. I will say that I far prefer the AD900 to the m80 for everything but portable use and, occasionally, bass heavy genres. It is extremely detailed, with a great sound-stage and excellent imaging (especially for the price it can be acquired at). If you plan to use it anywhere other than around the house, I would look at other options. The JVC HA-S400, for instance, offers some similarities to the m80 at an excellent price point.

If you do go the AT route, the (x) models have reportedly improved bass response, although I have never listened to them.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 4
You can find them in the $130-150 range refurbished if you look around. New they are $200-250 range. I think they are getting a little more scarce now that they (x) models are out, which sometimes are cheaper new than the ad900s.

AD900x is currently $200 at buydig (http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHAD900X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back