Out of all the Grado headphones, if you could only have one, which would it be?
Mar 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

IriFlina

New Head-Fier
I have become more and more interested in the Grado line of headphones after hearing them firsthand, though it was only a lower-end model (a SR80i). I do not want to be stuck in a cycle of purchase, selling what I had bought, only to buy a slightly higher model. I wish to buy a set of headphones, and stick with it. That said, I am quite conflicted in which to purchase. Currently, I'm deciding between a SR225i, a SR325is, the RS2i, and the RS1i. I enjoy fast paced, heavier music types such as metal, but I also enjoy soft, piano and acoustic guitar pieces as well as a good female vocalist. I do not require a heavy, solid bass, but a precise, well defined bass is more than desired. What is your suggestion? Thank you in advance.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 13
For guitar-based metal, I rank my preference 225i, RS1i, 325is (haven't heard RS2i). My reasons are that 225i is fast and clear and a little cooler, RS1i has more bass and texture, and 325i sounds ugly to me--too much of everything, a real circus. I suppose I enjoy the simpler 225i more. I bought 80i because it sounds better than any of them for organ music, followed by 225i (and I like it second best for metal). If you can visit an authorized dealer, they usually have at least the SR series available to demo.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Other than the 1000's, my favorite two Grado's are Alessandro's.  The MS-2i rocks your world like the SR 325is, but without the strident treble.

The MS-Pro is a more neutral and slightly refined version of the RS-1i.  I find it great for more than just classical.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Having relegated Grado's to 'novelty' status in my line-up, if I were to purchase a final Grado, it would be PS500.
I only just auditioned it for the first time recently and it's sound signature was so unbelievably close to my modded SR80 (which is almost my perfect Grado flavour), but better.

It's the only Grado IMO that has a fully satisfying frequency response that doesn't fatigue with treble or hold back on the bass.
It's not as pretty as the 325i, but if I could tune my SR80 to have a touch more treble sharpness and a bit more resolution it would sound just like/very similar to the PS500.

I've heard all Grados but not any Alessandro model or the PS1000.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 13
I'll be the odd one out I'd imagine.

Owned MS1i, SR60, SR325i, RS1

Heard - above + SR80i, SR125i, SR225i

I really thought the RS1 would be as far as I wanted to go - but in the end I missed my modified SR325i.  The 325is I had were modded with 2 bass holes per driver, DIY cable, full woody cups and driver enclosure, and a leather head-band.

I really enjoyed the RS1s - but in the end they were just a little too smooth (as far as Grados go).  I missed the raw bite of the 325i.  I'd imagine one of these days, I'll buy another pair then re-mod them again 
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 13
The difference in sound between the 'standard' Grado models (ie everything but the GS1000i/PS500/PS1000i) is honestly not that great.

There are incremental improvements as you go up the line, but even the difference between the RS1i and a low end Grado like the MS1i is relatively small (e.g. in comparison with another type of headphone altogether like the HD600) I'd say that the differences in build quality are more significant ...

(This is not a criticism of the high-end Grados, more a compliment to the lower-end models for being so good!)

I'd say buy a SR225i and upgrade the headband (e.g. to one of the Turbulent labs one). that's probably the best value for money you'll get in the Grado line up.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 13
  The difference in sound between the 'standard' Grado models (ie everything but the GS1000i/PS500/PS1000i) is honestly not that great.

There are incremental improvements as you go up the line, but even the difference between the RS1i and a low end Grado like the MS1i is relatively small (e.g. in comparison with another type of headphone altogether like the HD600) I'd say that the differences in build quality are more significant ...

(This is not a criticism of the high-end Grados, more a compliment to the lower-end models for being so good!)

I'd say buy a SR225i and upgrade the headband (e.g. to one of the Turbulent labs one). that's probably the best value for money you'll get in the Grado line up.

Can't say that I hear them the same way.  Each Grado line has its own distinct sound signature.  The SR's features slam, a forward sound and a smallish sound stage. (The MS-1i is an Alessandro based on the SR 80i).   The SR 325is is a true transition can between the SR and RS lines. 

The RS's add extension (especially to the bass), clarity, imaging and sound stage.  The wood cups make a difference. 

The PS add more bass (or at least the PS 500 does--I have not yet heard the PS 1000).  It is the only Grado I have heard with a bit of a dark sound signature.

The GS 1000i sound like an improved RS-1i or (perhaps more accurately an improved Alessandro MS-Pro).  The sound stage is bigger.  It is more neutral and balanced with less strident treble than the the RS cans.  It further improves the imaging and detail of the two RS cans.

Older versions of the RS 1i (RS-1) sound different than the more recent vintage.  From limited listening that's also true, albeit to a lesser degree, for at least some of the SR cans. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 13
I have not heard anything beyond the RS1i in the Grado line, but I have heard about everything else......that being said, I like the RS1i by a large margin over the others.....the 325is would come in a distant second.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 13

Can't say that I hear them the same way.  Each Grado line has its own distinct sound signature.  The SR's features slam, a forward sound and a smallish sound stage. (The MS-1i is an Alessandro based on the SR 80i).   The SR 325is is a true transition can between the SR and RS lines. 

The RS's add extension (especially to the bass), clarity, imaging and sound stage.  The wood cups make a difference. 

The PS add more bass (or at least the PS 500 does--I have not yet heard the PS 1000).  It is the only Grado I have heard with a bit of a dark sound signature.

The GS 1000i sound like an improved RS-1i or (perhaps more accurately an improved Alessandro MS-Pro).  The sound stage is bigger.  It is more neutral and balanced with less strident treble than the the RS cans.  It further improves the imaging and detail of the two RS cans.

Older versions of the RS 1i (RS-1) sound different than the more recent vintage.  From limited listening that's also true, albeit to a lesser degree, for at least some of the SR cans. 

Fair enough! We all hear differently, after all. Also, don't get me wrong, the Grado sound is my favourite of any headphone I've heard to date. The way they reproduce guitars 
eek.gif

I just didn't hear significant differences between the headphones that use the standard un-vented Grado driver. I'd say they all share the same basic signature, but with refinements (mostly to bass quantity and sounstage, but also a slight softening of the harsher edges) as you progress through the line.

I've never heard the PS/GS series, but I'd absolutely expect them to sound different due to the vents at the rear of the driver, and the larger cushions on the GS1000i/PS1000i ...

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 13

I've never heard the PS/GS series, but I'd absolutely expect them to sound different due to the vents at the rear of the driver, and the larger cushions on the GS1000i/PS1000i ...

Vents - no, almost no difference
Ear pads - yes, a world of difference

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 13
I am in the market for some rs1s. I have owned them before and I think I miss the weight of them. I have used the ps500s for a few years now and I guess just have a knack for the grado sound.

Recently I have been browsing the pages here from a long hiatus from visiting the site. This place can be dangerous. I think im just going to buy a set of rs1s and get the hell out of here

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 13
I am in the market for some rs1s. I have owned them before and I think I miss the weight of them. I have used the ps500s for a few years now and I guess just have a knack for the grado sound.

Recently I have been browsing the pages here from a long hiatus from visiting the site. This place can be dangerous. I think im just going to buy a set of rs1s and get the hell out of here

I hear you...."hit & run"  
tongue.gif

That strategy can save you hundreds....if not thousands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back