OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP with ES9018K2M + MAX97220A
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 221
I just bought a huawei p9 and this looks like a perfect match for it. Just have to wait for this and then decide what portable phones to buy :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #32 of 221
Massdrop is up.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shanling-up-portable-dac-amp

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #37 of 221
Colour me interested. I'll probably buy it as long as it's better than the df black.
How will it work connected to a miro usb phone?
Also, does it only work with hibymusic, or does it also work with UAPP?

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 221
This is better than dragonfly in term of future-ready for usb C, but I'm concerned about requiring to install Hibby app, meaning this does not work with streaming app like Sportify, Tidal?

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 221
Hiby app is likely only to enable full DAC support in Android (USB driver) + sponsorship reasons. I don't see why it would not work with other apps, within the (many) limitations of Android, of course.

But... we need reviews!!!!! And comparisons with the Dragonflys of course 
biggrin.gif
  @Shanling pehaps you should send a few out to the usual reviewers (assuming you didn't already).

Btw in case anyone's wondering the Zococity review in Spanish is mostly rubbish. No comparisons, no detailed comments on sound quality etc. Their "test" basically consists in checking that it can drive the B&W P7 at a higher volume compared to the audio out on an iphone/android.. like, duh no wonder.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #41 of 221
Ya I agreed the Hibby app seems is to unleash the full potential, but just want to confirm it really can work with other app like Sportify, because that's the point of using it with smart phone instead of stand alone DAC :)

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #43 of 221
Ya I agreed the Hibby app seems is to unleash the full potential, but just want to confirm it really can work with other app like Sportify, because that's the point of using it with smart phone instead of stand alone DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you referring to Android or iOS?

If this is a similar implementation to most other DACs (no reason to think it is not, although the "dual mode" feature might signify they are using additional drivers) as far as I know:
- iOS: should work normally with any app
- Android: it will work with any app, but to use it to the fullest, you will need an app with its own USB drivers, such as Hiby, Neutron, Poweramp Alpha, UAPP. The reason is that by default Android will process the audio stream and resample it even if it is sending it out via USB OTG. As such, your DAC will receive an already sampled signal and resample it again, thereby negating some of the benefits of the DAC itself. To clarify, this is necessary with any and all DACs if you're using Android. It is an OS "feature" until Google decides to correctly implement USB audio out. There might be some particular smartphone brands that have a correct implementation but I'm not aware of any atm.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #44 of 221
Are you referring to Android or iOS?

If this is a similar implementation to most other DACs (no reason to think it is not, although the "dual mode" feature might signify they are using additional drivers) as far as I know:
- iOS: should work normally with any app
- Android: it will work with any app, but to use it to the fullest, you will need an app with its own USB drivers, such as Hiby, Neutron, Poweramp Alpha, UAPP. The reason is that by default Android will process the audio stream and resample it even if it is sending it out via USB OTG. As such, your DAC will receive an already sampled signal and resample it again, thereby negating some of the benefits of the DAC itself. To clarify, this is necessary with any and all DACs if you're using Android. It is an OS "feature" until Google decides to correctly implement USB audio out. There might be some particular smartphone brands that have a correct implementation but I'm not aware of any atm.

Thanks for your info! I always thought that once there is sound from android OTG cable then it's fine, I didn't know it may be processed already, hmm.... then it's really not easy to use android phone as source....

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #45 of 221
Thanks for your info! I always thought that once there is sound from android OTG cable then it's fine, I didn't know it may be processed already, hmm.... then it's really not easy to use android phone as source....

It's not, indeed. We can only hope that with the next revision of Android Google will pay more attention to this. Which imho is quite likely as we are seeing more and more devices without the standard audio out jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back