Our Lady Peace Fans??
Oct 28, 2005 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xand1x

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if there are any our lady peace fans out there
smily_headphones1.gif
If so, what albums would you recommend that fall under this category of alternative!

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 13
Naveed and Clumsy, and possibly Happiness...is not a fish you can catch. Start with Clumsy which is accessible while still keeping a raw sound, and if that works for you then go back to Naveed and explore their albums from there. If not, you're only out one album.

Oct 29, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 13
I enjoyed these guys quite a bit when I was in H.S.

They got a lot of radio play with "superman's dead' from clumsy and 'one man army' from happiness is not a fish. "Thief" also got played a lot on mtv.

Those first to singles are probably the weakest songs. Especially "one man army" My favourite track on that clumsy is "carnival". Happiness is not a Fish is a fairly strong album imho.

Didn't listen to any of the albums after that though.

Of course there are hundreds of other albums that I would buy before anything done by OLP, now that I am more musically mature.

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Well now, I don't think the consensus so far is quite being fair to OLP. While Naveed, Clumsy, and Happiness... are without a doubt their best albums, there's a few decent tracks on Spiritual Machines and, while Gravity is generic radio garbage rock, it at least manages to do a better job of it than many other bands out there today.

Their latest release is, however, quite incredibly awful.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 13
i think they peaked at Spiritual Machines, and went downhill from there.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 13
After replying to this thread and revisiting OLP, I think I am going to trade the discs in for something more in line with my current tastes. Think I am going to toss collective soul as well.

Sentimentality is for the weak

BTW

Allmusicguide.com gave clumsy 4 stars w/ pick, happiness is not a fish 3 stars, and spiritual machines 4 stars.

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
i think they peaked at Spiritual Machines, and went downhill from there.

Agreed. Spiritual Machines is my favourite..I didnt like gravity too much though =(

May 24, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 13
I found this old thread while doing a search, and wanted to mention that the Our Lady Peace concert DVD : "Our Lady Peace Live" is very, very good. It was recorded during several concerts in Canada in 2003; the band is better live than in the studio--and I like the studio work. The extras are better than average, but the concert footage is what this DVD is all about.

I have quite a few concert DVD's, and this is among the best (My favorite is Dido Live at Brixton Academy; it has a great DTS mix and she's a babe with the voice of an angel, but I digress).

Anyway, here's a link to the OLP DVD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

May 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Yup, I have that DVD. I don't listen to OLP anymore, hated everything after Happiness... But man, that DVD is amazing and I still pop it in from time to time. Also just a random recommendation: RHCP - Off The Map DVD. Chili peppers in their absolute prime, aged to perfection. Fantastic setlist, some great covers. Their other recent dvds are absolute garbage in comparison (excepting production values).

May 24, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nayr2
Yup, I have that DVD. I don't listen to OLP anymore, hated everything after Happiness... But man, that DVD is amazing and I still pop it in from time to time. Also just a random recommendation: RHCP - Off The Map DVD. Chili peppers in their absolute prime, aged to perfection. Fantastic setlist, some great covers. Their other recent dvds are absolute garbage in comparison (excepting production values).

Thanks for the suggestion. I really like good concert DVD's, and it can be a real crapshoot buying them on impulse--so many are poorly done. Honestly however, while I like much of the Chili Peppers guitar work and respect their creative influence, I just can't get past Keidis' vocal style; the rhyming thing just grates on me. The only band that uses rhyming that I like is Linkin Park.

If they weren't so overplayed on the radio, it probably wouldn't bother me, but they are overplayed. The price of commercial success I suppose. Anyway, I still appreciate the suggestion. My son loves them; I may pick it up for him.

May 25, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 13
I liked Clumsy, Spiritual Machines and Happiness is ... in that order. Havn't listened to them in a while though... I wonder where the CDs went..

Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
After replying to this thread and revisiting OLP, I think I am going to trade the discs in for something more in line with my current tastes. Think I am going to toss collective soul as well.

<snip..>

Heh, I was amazed how good Collective soul sounded with a good rig.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back