Our 2nd pair of phones? (Current: Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir)
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phatbetty

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I got the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir closed back phones at the recommendation of the headfi community and I love them!

My wife wants her first pair good phones and I’m looking again. I’d like to get something similar but different than my pair. Closed-back and wired. $200ish - could go a little higher or lower. She likes mine but we think it would be fun to have something a little different just to compare and learn. (Rather than just having another set of the same)

We regularly listen to all genres but classical (only on occasion) and for her, mainly from the iPhone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 5
The Shure 840s works great from an iPhone as well as the AKG 553. You also might consider the BEYERDYNAMIC DT770 PRO 32ohm which are $149 on Massdrop right now. There are a lot of good choices as long as you pick easy to drive headphones - 32ohm. I've owned the first two (AKG 551 prior version) and I'm eyeing the Beyer for my desktop amp which is lower power.

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Try the AKG K371 or the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. Both are great within their respective price brackets, and they sound quite different from the 99 Noir, too.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Okay, so I got the Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir closed back phones at the recommendation of the headfi community and I love them!

My wife wants her first pair good phones and I’m looking again. I’d like to get something similar but different than my pair. Closed-back and wired. $200ish - could go a little higher or lower. She likes mine but we think it would be fun to have something a little different just to compare and learn. (Rather than just having another set of the same)

We regularly listen to all genres but classical (only on occasion) and for her, mainly from the iPhone.

Thoughts?
Try to find a pair of Beoplay H6 headphones would be my 1st suggestion. If you want to discover a contrast in sound (still a very good one), the Audio Technica ath Msr7b is an excellent option.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 5
After considering all the suggestions I went with the DT770 PRO 32ohm. I'm very happy so far - only been using them for a handful of days. Compared to the Meze , the soundstage seems a little more open, they are a little less "boomy" (but I never thought the Meze were "bad" boomy), and over all a little more flat/balanced. I'm happy with the purchase as a second set.

Thanks everyone for your input - great community here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back