Ouch!
Jun 30, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 13
eek.gif

If that was in US, they'd probably be asking for millions not thousands.

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 13
Stephen King has a short story on just this subject in his last short story compilation. It's like one of the first ones, since I'm not even a quarter way through it. Gruesome.

How about the state of affairs when they had to invent those caskets where you could ring a bell, call out to someone "above" in case you were not actually dead and wanted out?

Reminds me of the movie The Vanishing.

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, Stephen King can think up some scary ****, especially when it comes to this stuff, playing on people's ultimate fears
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 13
I've had operations for 8 times now
I work in a hospital and realy know what can go wrong but I'm not afraid.
You have more chance to get hurt in a car accident than that.

Peter.

Jul 1, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Outdoor Man

Peter.

If I need surgery I'm going to Amsterdam.
Or did he mean that car wrecks are numerous?

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Yea I think the term for that is IOA (intra-operative awareness). You are supposed to get a muscle relaxant, a sedative and a pain killer. Some operations don't need a muscle relaxant. It's good to talk with your anasthesiologist (sp) and your doctor before the surgery to make sure everyone knows what's going on, and request a BI monitor that will tell the doctor your level of awareness/consciousness throughout the surgery.

This lady that it happened to said she still gets nightmares from the ordeal. I couldn't even imagine what would be like to hear and feel your flesh being cut. She had the relaxant and the sedative, but not the pain killer.

I recently saw this on Worst Case Scenario on TV.

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 13
yeah... i saw this on worse case scenario, too. *shudders*

they said on the show, however, that you can get some sort of brain wave monitor that lets the doctors be sure the anesthesia is working. sure beats being lucky enough to have them notice tears in your eyes. they said it can cost quite a bit, but after seeing that episode, it's something i'd GLADLY pay for.

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Outdoor Man

Peter.

I've worked in a hospital most of my adult life with a two year stint in the O.R. and I have also been in a car accident. Given the choice, I'd rather go through an accident again than be under anesthesia, not able to move/speak while feeling the cutting, pulling, tugging and cauterization and not be able to do a thing. I know these are rare instances, but it is a frightening, painful experience to go through. BTW, my anesthesia experiences have been quite pleasant
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Oh man that would suck. I can't even imagine going through that. There was a show on this a few years ago on like Maury or something. I had to turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back