ouch!
Sep 3, 2006 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I feel quite stupid for my nice little accident here. While wearing my UM2's, fully inserted and wrapped over my ears, I reach down to disconnect my iPod. When I go to stand up rather quickly, the Y connector gets caught on the knob of a drawer the iPod was sitting on, which violently pulls the wires down from on top of my ears, ripping the long comply tips out of my ears and causing my to immediately grab BOTH ears in a shot of pain.

How can I be so stupid! It got both ears evenly too, now they are slightly ringing (sudden removal?) and very red and painful. I'm a bit worried to even see the damage to my UM2s, I am surprised to see no wire was ripped out.

Ugh! This head-fi hobby is becoming dangerous!
biggrin.gif

Any similar tales of woe guys?

Sep 3, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
Lol umm... my wire's always under my shirt (sounds wrong in so many different ways
rolleyes.gif
)
But the little bit of wire sticking out of my pocket gets caught on things every now and then though
They ARE indestructible
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 7
hm, with the foamies, i dont think anything bad can happen. with my tri flanges, however, i think it can hurt pretty bad.

good food for thought, maybe i'll go foamies now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps
i get caught up every once and a while walking around, nothing painful though.

what do you use though?

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 7
the last time I got caught up like that was with my senn buds so they weren't really IEMs. I mean, I got yanked on pretty hard, but since there was no seal there wasn't any sort of lasting pain.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I feel quite stupid for my nice little accident here. While wearing my UM2's, fully inserted and wrapped over my ears, I reach down to disconnect my iPod. When I go to stand up rather quickly, the Y connector gets caught on the knob of a drawer the iPod was sitting on, which violently pulls the wires down from on top of my ears, ripping the long comply tips out of my ears and causing my to immediately grab BOTH ears in a shot of pain.

How can I be so stupid! It got both ears evenly too, now they are slightly ringing (sudden removal?) and very red and painful. I'm a bit worried to even see the damage to my UM2s, I am surprised to see no wire was ripped out.

Ugh! This head-fi hobby is becoming dangerous!
biggrin.gif

Any similar tales of woe guys?

I got caught like that on a train once, the wire on my e2c's (yeah havent done it recently) got caught and I didn't notice, and when I got up to get off the train, I nearly pulled myself over.

I am guessing the ringing in your ears was partly from the sudden pain and possibly from the vacuum created when you ripped them out quickly. If you can stand it, I would stay off the IEMs and stay WELL clear of high volumes for a while and you'll be fine.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 7
yea happens to me all the time, but only a few times when extreme pain is exhibited. the cord got caught in my sleeves and when i swung my arm away to grab something and then bang! a sudden vaccum was created in my ears and it felt like it was gona rip my eardrums off. thank god they were only CX300s (canal phones not full IEMs) i cant imaging something like this happening with a real IEM inserted deep into the canal with a full acousitic seal.

shivers......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back