OtterBox and Cell Phone Cases in General
Jun 26, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a new cell phone and I've been trying to find a decent case for it. Most that' I've found appear to be cheap and flimsy. OtterBox makes two different cases for my phone but they're more money than I really wanted to spend. Are OtterBox cases really worth the cost? Are there any other cell phone case manufacturers that make good quality cases? 

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Switcheasy.com

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Neo/Neo.php#

^ Had that for nearly a year, works great. Comes with everything you need.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I used to own the iPhone and Droid otterbox. I think for the price, they are not worth it. It creates more problems than actually solving by its bulky size and not to mention that it is somewhat impossible to remove the iPhone case. Avoid.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Otterboxes are really clones of Pelicans. They weren't designed to be used as cases, but rather waterproof containers. Start improvising and it'll do everything half-assed.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a few cases for my iPhone and the Otterbox Commuter TL is probably the sturdiest. I wouldn't trust it completely though, ultimately nothing will protect it from a serious drop onto a hard surface, and unless you're using a case with a lid or a pouch, the screen is always vulnerable. I know several people who've dropped the phone and it's always the screen that's smashed while the rest of the phone is fine, and they use cases.

When I upgrade next year to an iPhone 5 I'm going to get one of those lovely crafted wood cases, although I've been put off Grove (despite the amazing etching) by a couple of reviews saying the parts have a tendency to become loose. Not particularly durable, but I baby my phone and I only seem to be clumsy with it at home where there's carpet and I needn't worry too much and most cases take away from the looks. The wooden cases look siiiiiiiick though. 

I also use a BodyGuardz invisible skin which IMO is superior to the Zagg one and keeps the phone scratch-free whilst being... well, invisible.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 8
I recently got an ottebox 1000 which I intended to use to store my headphones in but the box ended up being bigger than I thought.  It's very sturdy and I think the quality is great, but it just wasn't small enough.
One of my friends has the otterbox iphone case, and it's pretty obnoxious in my opinion.  It looks really funky and makes the phone huge, and definitely takes away the compactness of the iphone.  Plus you're probably going to have problems fitting it into any kind of dock and it's just overkill for most people. 
I actually personally liked the skullcandy cases.  Unlike their headphones, the cases that they make have been working out pretty well for me and seem to be pretty decent quality, plus they're rather stylish too and not in an obnoxious way.  The case around the edges is a decent thickness and I'm pretty sure it has a pretty good chance of surviving a fall onto a hard surface.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I completely trust my iPhone 1g in a Otterbox defender. I've dropped it far too many times and the case has held up. Amazon may have it cheaper so just check there (got mine for like 30 a year ago)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back