Ottawa Region Meet 2016 - Sunday May 29th Greenboro Community Centre
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2015 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, this is going to be by far and away the best meet we have had. I hope that by getting an early start we can organize this event to be top-notch. The room while decent in size is limited so we will need to be realistic in terms of what we want to include this time around.

We will be using the same room again so given what we know (those of us who were at the meet last Sunday) we know the room can handle about 20-25 people only with tables set up for comfortable display of the rigs. This is a decent number anyway so if we get there it will be great.

I will again do my listening test thing and maybe expand on it if at all possible. I am also hoping to extend the event an hour longer to allow an early dinner break as the event will likely be from 1pm to 6pm this time. The cost will be about $200 which is very reasonable. We know that with some planning the room can really be set up well so before the event happens we will map out a floor plan to maximize the space for easy movement and maximum occupancy.

We could even make the food a potluck (likely just cold offerings), and if we really wanted to make it a more social feeling event if anybody felt they would enjoy a few drinks perhaps an event liquor license could be considered? That is just a thought.

So, while I know things can come up no matter much notice people have, who feels they are interested in attending? As well, the WiFi isn't a problem apparently the good WiFi connection requires each user to login using a library card. Library cards are free and you can get them online so hopefully for those who will attend if you anticipate needing WiFi for your rig please get your library card, as I said it is free and takes all of three minutes to get.

As well, if we feel the event is shaping up to be bigger, while it would be a separate room, we could get another room in the community centre. Perhaps this could be a dedicated theme room such as my testing room and where food and drinks are available?

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 14
Sounds great! I hope we can all get motivated and start planning and getting things together early to allow for a greater event.

I'm going to tentatively say that I'll be able to bring Audeze EL-8Cs, KEF M500s, and a Little Dot I+, and it depends on my situation but I intend to get new IEMs soon which I'll likely bring as well.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 14
^ While I see your point, I'm not sure more is better regardless. If we go all out and advertise like this is a commercial venture we need to find a new venue with a bigger room = more money and there really is no guarantee more people are going to show. Plus, what is the advantage of more people? we aren't selling anything so in my mind simplicity is the key. Have enough people for a quality event, but not so many people that it becomes a blur. Still, as many people as are interested are welcome, but beyond 20-25 it will require a venue change.

I think this is a different event as opposed to a larger Ottawa region meet where exhibitors might be interested in attending. In my mind that is a viable goal, but not in the cards this time around. We certainly need a CANJAM event for this region with Ottawa as the site in my mind as we are within driving distance of both Montreal and Toronto.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 14
^ I think the CANJAM will need to be another event as that would take a year of planning I'm sure, but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to have a CANJAM event ourselves if really want to, and I know I do.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 14
  ^ While I see your point, I'm not sure more is better regardless. If we go all out and advertise like this is a commercial venture we need to find a new venue with a bigger room = more money and there really is no guarantee more people are going to show. Plus, what is the advantage of more people? we aren't selling anything so in my mind simplicity is the key. Have enough people for a quality event, but not so many people that it becomes a blur. Still, as many people as are interested are welcome, but beyond 20-25 it will require a venue change.

I think this is a different event as opposed to a larger Ottawa region meet where exhibitors might be interested in attending. In my mind that is a viable goal, but not in the cards this time around. We certainly need a CANJAM event for this region with Ottawa as the site in my mind as we are within driving distance of both Montreal and Toronto.

I agree with this point. Though more and more may seem like better, there was a lot to gain from the more personal and intimate environment from the last one. Yes, more people could provide more discussion, more headphones, and more comparison, but too many people and it stops being a meet-up and turns into a convention.
While there's nothing wrong with a convention, and I would love something like an Ottawa CANJAM, I also don't want the death of a smaller, local meet-up.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 14
  I agree with this point. Though more and more may seem like better, there was a lot to gain from the more personal and intimate environment from the last one. Yes, more people could provide more discussion, more headphones, and more comparison, but too many people and it stops being a meet-up and turns into a convention.
While there's nothing wrong with a convention, and I would love something like an Ottawa CANJAM, I also don't want the death of a smaller, local meet-up.

This

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Just doing a refresh post to let people know the thread is still active and once we are a month out it should get much more active.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm always interested in a meet, but I will not be able to attend anything up to mid August as I'm heading over to Germany on May 29 and doing a pile of stuff before then like a new bathroom, getting married, potty training the toddler, and more.
Good luck with the meet, no matter how big or small they have always been fun because of the enthusiasm for all things headphones.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi all !
I'm here in Ottawa for around two weeks visiting my girlfriend who is in uOttawa, so I've a bit of time when she's studying. I've some stuffs with me (ACS Encore, Spiral Ear SE5 Ultimate, Fiio M3 and Xduoo X2) and it would be nice to meet some audiophiles from Ottawa during my trip. In France we usually do that drinking a beer or a coffee but I'll adapt me to the Canadian context ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back